Beginner CAD progarm

I received a few questions about the Geomagic CAD software... and I had to call Geomagic to get the answer.

For the sake of clarity, here is the entry-level program that runs about $199. http://cubify.com/products/cubify_design/index.aspx

It's pretty much identical to the pro-version and it will output files for CAM and do 2D drawings but, it won't create Bill-of-Materials, do sheetmetal, doesn't have the parts library etc... Other than that, it's the same method of drawing and menu screens...

I may have mislead folks earlier because, the company now sells this software on a different website geared to the home/hobby market and not the industrial CAD/CAM/Simulation market. Sorry if I confused anyone... -just didn't know the company moved the product to a different website.

Ray

An update to my experience:

I started out with freeware called A9CAD. It's a decent enough 2-D drafting program, but I grew frustrated with my inability to figure out how to do things efficiently. I could mostly get it to do what I wanted, but had to do lots of trigonometry to figure out where to place every feature. Lots of work. Also the help was extremely brief, and I was unable to find an on-line forum to get help.

I downloaded the demo version of Cubify Design a couple of weeks ago. My initial attempt to learn it by drawing my own plans went nowhere fast. Upon starting in with the orientation/tutorials in the Help however, it instantly started to make sense.

My 2-week free usage expired yesterday. I bought it.

So far, it has worked well for my bike light design. I was able to draw a very complex (for me) pocket that included two bosses for mounting other components. The interior fillets did give the program problems in a couple of areas, but it may be that I have not figured out how to use the feature generator correctly.

(Also, the geometry gets pretty involved because there are two different fillet radii intersecting. I cut the smaller ones tangent to the arc of the larger, and calculating the x,y coordinates for that was a big headache-not difficult math, but there is a lot to keep track of.)

It may be the lack of ability to generate 2-D plans will be an issue, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

XML Bike Light JPG.jpg

I'm really liking the way the constraint features can be used to move objects into position, this saves lots of time because you don't always need to calculate the exact x-y coordinates for every feature. But if you do need to place something exactly, it's easy to call up the option to do so.

Placing screw holes is easy because the hole depth, counterbore, and screw pitch is in a box that persists while you specify multiple coordinate pairs, or simply click where you want them to go.

Making a 3-D object from 2-D drawings proceeds very straightforwardly because the program includes an extensive group of functions to extrude solids and holes from any face you can draw. (Obvious for those of you who have used 3-D modeling programs, but I had not, and it's impressive in its relative simplicity and power.)

One issue I ran into that appears to be a program fault is a hole I wanted bored through a wall containing two fillets would stop at the fillets no matter how far I told it to extend past the face. Not a big problem, more cosmetic than functional.

Walt

XML Bike Light JPG.jpg

An update to my experience:

I started out with freeware called A9CAD. It's a decent enough 2-D drafting program, but I grew frustrated with my inability to figure out how to do things efficiently. I could mostly get it to do what I wanted, but had to do lots of trigonometry to figure out where to place every feature. Lots of work. Also the help was extremely brief, and I was unable to find an on-line forum to get help.

I downloaded the demo version of Cubify Design a couple of weeks ago. My initial attempt to learn it by drawing my own plans went nowhere fast. Upon starting in with the orientation/tutorials in the Help however, it instantly started to make sense.

My 2-week free usage expired yesterday. I bought it.

So far, it has worked well for my bike light design. I was able to draw a very complex (for me) pocket that included two bosses for mounting other components. The interior fillets did give the program problems in a couple of areas, but it may be that I have not figured out how to use the feature generator correctly.

(Also, the geometry gets pretty involved because there are two different fillet radii intersecting. I cut the smaller ones tangent to the arc of the larger, and calculating the x,y coordinates for that was a big headache-not difficult math, but there is a lot to keep track of.)

It may be the lack of ability to generate 2-D plans will be an issue, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

View attachment 72004

I'm really liking the way the constraint features can be used to move objects into position, this saves lots of time because you don't always need to calculate the exact x-y coordinates for every feature. But if you do need to place something exactly, it's easy to call up the option to do so.

Placing screw holes is easy because the hole depth, counterbore, and screw pitch is in a box that persists while you specify multiple coordinate pairs, or simply click where you want them to go.

Making a 3-D object from 2-D drawings proceeds very straightforwardly because the program includes an extensive group of functions to extrude solids and holes from any face you can draw. (Obvious for those of you who have used 3-D modeling programs, but I had not, and it's impressive in its relative simplicity and power.)

One issue I ran into that appears to be a program fault is a hole I wanted bored through a wall containing two fillets would stop at the fillets no matter how far I told it to extend past the face. Not a big problem, more cosmetic than functional.

Walt

Walt,

Good going there; really nice model -especially for just two weeks of using it! I think the geomagic stuff is a real winning ticket. You should be able to blow a hole through a fillet. I know I've done it before and I'll take a look next time I'm tinkering around.

Great job!

Ray

To answer the question posted by the original OP, I have on my laptop the following: AutoCAD 2000 full version, AutoCAD 2000 LT, DraftSight, SketchUp Maker 2013 and SketchUp Maker 2014.

AutoCAD is continuous from 1989 (v.10 for DOS) that I ran on DOS 7 with 8083 processor chip and a 8088 math co-processor chip.
AutoCAD 2000 came in around 2003, and got the AutoCAD 2000 LT from my employer while drafting for a building automation contractor.

I enjoyed using AutoCAD and was reluctant to switch because of the learning curve, but just a few months ago, I began using SketchUP.

I like SketchUP, but I discovered that I was feeling that a lot was missing or I wasn't really using a bonafide top level program because it did not have shop papers (Bill Of Materials, parts tracking, work order publishing, etc.).

I finally convinced myself that, now that I'm not drawing in the trade anymore (just for pleasure) I could afford to relax and SketchUp looks a lot better to me now. I still go back to AutoCAD after I have drawn something and can understand it better [I know!..quirky!].

DraftSight is just like AutoCAD but free! I haven't allowed it to claim all my AutoCAD files, though!

A lot of great tutorials on the net! My favorite is http://www.mastersketchup.com/sketchup-tutorials/

John
Mechanic @ Starbucks

I received a few questions about the Geomagic CAD software... and I had to call Geomagic to get the answer.

For the sake of clarity, here is the entry-level program that runs about $199. http://cubify.com/products/cubify_design/index.aspx

It's pretty much identical to the pro-version and it will output files for CAM and do 2D drawings but, it won't create Bill-of-Materials, do sheetmetal, doesn't have the parts library etc... Other than that, it's the same method of drawing and menu screens...

I may have mislead folks earlier because, the company now sells this software on a different website geared to the home/hobby market and not the industrial CAD/CAM/Simulation market. Sorry if I confused anyone... -just didn't know the company moved the product to a different website.

Ray

Ray, I just wanted to pile on the "thanks" column. :) I barely even tried it before when it was through Alibre. Tried to re-demo it but didn't want the hassle of asking for an extension. So I watched a few of those CubifyFans vids at youtube, and saw that... ya, I can do this. Once convinced, just purchased through the cubify site you mentioned (didn't know about that site before), easy peasy.

I'm liking it... of course much to learn, but it's do-able!

So, I noticed a sub folder in the app install folder called Keyshot (with a dll in there). Went to the forum and see Keyshot listed as a plugin getting questions asked, but nothing as to if it works with the base $200 Cubify Design version. Thinking mostly/probably not right?

In any event, thanks and kudos for spreading the word about this app, fun stuff.

Bob

Ray, I just wanted to pile on the "thanks" column. :) I barely even tried it before when it was through Alibre. Tried to re-demo it but didn't want the hassle of asking for an extension. So I watched a few of those CubifyFans vids at youtube, and saw that... ya, I can do this. Once convinced, just purchased through the cubify site you mentioned (didn't know about that site before), easy peasy.

I'm liking it... of course much to learn, but it's do-able!

So, I noticed a sub folder in the app install folder called Keyshot (with a dll in there). Went to the forum and see Keyshot listed as a plugin getting questions asked, but nothing as to if it works with the base $200 Cubify Design version. Thinking mostly/probably not right?

In any event, thanks and kudos for spreading the word about this app, fun stuff.

Bob

As far as I know, Keyshot is a file format supported by another popular CAD program. I'm guessing the folder you're talking about has the necessary programs to convert files that format.

... Glad you like the program so far. Cubify is the new name of the original Alibre hobbyist package. I gather it's very similar to the big-guns version but I have no direct knowledge about Cubify.

Ray

Well, if anyone is interested, I have some older versions of TurboCAD Pro that I am no longer using that I would be willing to pass along.

TurboCAD Pro 15 for Windows XP (and maybe Vista)

TurboCAD Pro 16 for Windows XP and Vista

TurboCAD Pro 17 for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7

All three of these will come with the serial number as well as the "activation code" so I believe you will be able to load and use them on your machine.

I'm currently on version 20 so these are just taking up space. Just post which version you want (first come, first serve) and PM me with your address and I'll get them out to you.

-Ron
Thanks for the offer, I have TurboCad 8 and would welcome either versions 15 or 16 if still available.
Not sure where to go from here so I will try personal messages.

I don't have any advice on a specific CAD program but I have been using them for 25+ years. I have learned a bunch of the from Autocad, Cadkey, SDRC Master Series, Rhino and Solidworks. All of them self taught. My advice for teaching yourself a cad program, get a laptop. You would be amazed at how much time you can get on it compared to having to go to the desktop. As a matter of fact, I am sitting here in my easy chair, the ballgame is on, wife is reading a book on the other side of the room and as soon as I finish screwing around on this site I will be messing around in Solidworks for a couple of hours.
I am not sure but I bet programs like Cubify and Sketchup would run pretty good on a fairly inexpensive laptop.
And of course if you need a break from the cad learning you can hop on here and see what's going on!

John

Back