Beginner cutting tools to get with my lathe.

Dutch Platypus

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to order my first lathe (PM-1030V) and I'm trying to determine what I should get for cutting tools. The shop I'm ordering the lathe from (Precision Matthews) offers some nice kits with carbide inserts for the AXA tool post so I'm tempted to add them in but I would love to know whether that is a good decision. Is there a sweet spot for the price/quality ratio?

Tlhanks for any input you can provide,
Edwin van Doorn

Hi Edwin, To help us a bit more, do you have any particular types of metals that you will mostly be working with?

David

Hi David,
At first i will probably be working mostly with Aluminum, Brass and various plastics.
Best Regards,
Edwin

Well I am only a hobbyist clock repair person. I work mostly with aluminum, brass and some plastics as well. For these I like sharp HSS tools for a lot of stuff, and I also use carbide inserts as well. I am sure you will get more feedback based on your particular machine and tool holder.

David

It is not possible to know what tooling is needed until one has the particular job details. Buy or grind only the tools required for the work.

Ed, you need tools to learn to use your new lathe. While I agree completely with Todd re HSS tools, I also understand that you will be anxious to get started.

I think the 3/8" turning/boring set PM sells is an outstanding bargain. RH, LH and boring bar plus inserts for $69.00 is a steal. These are the SCLCX type tool holders so better inserts will be readily available on ebay.

Another option is the HSS version of these tools and inserts from AR Warner. Here is the equivalent set from them: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-12-kit-8-38-inch-turning-c-right-hand-left-hand-and-boring-bar.aspx. Note the price difference. For that, you get well made tool holders and re-sharpenable HSS inserts that will work better at the lower speeds your lathe can achieve. These tool holders will also accept CCMT and CCGT carbide inserts that are readily available on ebay.

Of course, you can buy the PM set and also buy CEMW HSS inserts from AR Warner to fit them to lower your costs.

As Todd said, in the long run your best bet is to learn to grind your own HSS tools but that will come if/when you're ready for it. Those of us who grind tools are well beyond the beginning where you are now but we remember when we started - congratulations, and welcome to HM!

I have a ton of HSS and carbide brazed tooling that I will give you if you pay shipping. I'm tired of tripping over it.

It's all 3/8 and smaller.

Britt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

+1 for the HSS tool bits. You’ll need a small 6” or 8” bench grinder to grind the tools to the right form. But there’s no end of examples and How to’s to learn how to do it on line. Mikey even made up some large wood tooling examples he can send you to show you the shape.

Nothing wrong with carbide, just a mystery to me how the inserts are used, as there are hundreds if not thousands of different shapes, all with unintelligible coded numbers. Why mess with all of that when HSS will work brilliantly for you, for ever, and for cheap!

Glenn

Hi Everyone,

First off, thank you for all your feedback. I definitely get that HSS is a great way to get started and I also like the idea to learn how to sharpen and shape my own tools so I’ll be headed that way. 428Bird, I’ll PM you to find out more about your offer for your tools.

Best Regards,
Edwin

Back