Beginner cutting tools to get with my lathe.

My personal favorite is a CCMT insert holder: http://www.shars.com/products/index...-small-screw-lock-positive-insert-tool-holder

You can put CCGX polished inserts in it which cut aluminum beautifully. They aren't too expensive and as long as you don't keep crashing the machine should last forever. I use this for 99% of my square OD turning. The same inserts also fit some small to medium sized boring bars, so not a bad investment. I prefer carbide for the consistency of tool even though I know how to grind HSS.

This combo is not too expensive.

When I first got started I found grinding HSS tools intimidating and procrastinated for a while before trying it. I read a lot of forum posts and watched videos (especially Mr. Pete and Abom 79) to get an idea of how to grind tools. After trying a few grinds I realized it isn't that hard and the shapes, for the most part, don't have to be dead on. The main thing is to make sure you have clearance anywhere the tool might drag on the work. There really isn't any voodoo or black magic involved.

Enjoy your new lathe!

I have no problem grinding tools carbide or HSS. But if I was looking for a started set of tools I would try a set from Banggood. They have a carbide set of 7 insert tools for less then 40 bucks shipped. Right and left hand turning tools ,a threading insert tool . And a cutoff tool with insert and two boring bars with inserts. When I had my own shop one bore bar used to cost more then the set.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all your feedback. I chose to get the AXA tool set from Precision Matthews since it appeared to be a good deal to go with the AXA tool post that comes installed on the lathe. For any other tools, I will definitely start with HSS and learn to grind my own. Shops like Banggood appear to provide some nice cheap options to learn how not to do it before trying my hand on better parts. I appreciate all your feedback and I look forward to the learning curve ahead (I have used lathes before on occasion, I just never owned one).

Best Regards,
Edwin

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all your feedback. I chose to get the AXA tool set from Precision Matthews since it appeared to be a good deal to go with the AXA tool post that comes installed on the lathe. For any other tools, I will definitely start with HSS and learn to grind my own. Shops like Banggood appear to provide some nice cheap options to learn how not to do it before trying my hand on better parts. I appreciate all your feedback and I look forward to the learning curve ahead (I have used lathes before on occasion, I just never owned one).

Best Regards,
Edwin
Here is what I have to give you, if you want it. Just pay shipping if you don't mind. There are some new brazed carbide of varying tips, new and used HSS also of varying sizes.

Britt
60f82a9e12d10958890fc8133264e0c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here is what I have to give you, if you want it. Just pay shipping if you don't mind. There are some new brazed carbide of varying tips, new and used HSS also of varying sizes.

Britt
60f82a9e12d10958890fc8133264e0c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hi Britt, I PM'ed you.
Edwin

As an example, if given this part to make next year would you have thought this year to stock internal and external grooving tools less the .065" in width, assorted concave and convex radius OD turning tools, a boring bar that will fit into a 1 1/4 inch bore and go 6" deep and an X sized drill bit?

For this reason buy or make what is required when need arises and before long you will have more tools then you have drawers to keep them in(-:
testpart.jpg

As an example, if given this part to make next year would you have thought this year to stock internal and external grooving tools less the .065" in width, assorted concave and convex radius OD turning tools, a boring bar that will fit into a 1 1/4 inch bore and go 6" deep and an X sized drill bit?

For this reason buy or make what is required when need arises and before long you will have more tools then you have drawers to keep them in(-:
View attachment 266109
Point well taken. I’m not looking to gather unnecessary bits and I certainly don’t know anything about future project needs nor do I have unlimited funding

It looks like they cover the basics fairly well, but a drill chuck for the tail stock would be nice to have.

I've not done a whole lot with my lathe but that is something that has already proved itself handy several times. Unfortunately it looks like PM is sold out of the one they offer.

It looks like they cover the basics fairly well, but a drill chuck for the tail stock would be nice to have.

I've not done a whole lot with my lathe but that is something that has already proved itself handy several times. Unfortunately it looks like PM is sold out of the one they offer.

Yeah, that and a live center are two parts I’ll probably be looking for sooner than later.

Back