Beginner machinist with an atlas lathe

My dad bought Mr. Pete's Atlas video set for me as a nice gift. I received the videos on a flash drive included in the cost (permanent, not a rental), which I think was $60. They are good videos, and Lyle is a very good teacher. There is a wealth of info on this site's download section on Atlas, thanks mostly to Wa5cab. YouTube is full of stuff, as is the wide wide world of web. Hope you find it interesting, and welcome.

Welcome!

Agree with the others. No need to spend the $100. Mr. Pete has hundreds of videos that you can watch for free, and you can search his video titles to find what you need.

I also agree that the MIT video series is loaded with information. But beware, the presenter has an "interesting" style, and the videos were made back in the mid-90's, so the quality is not the best by today's standards.

Another YouTube creator you might consider watching is ThatLazyMachinist who owns an Atlas Craftsman. He is a retired machinist and shop teacher. He covers the fundamentals well and also covers beginner projects to include the drawings.

And lastly, YouTube creator Tom Griffin (Tom's Techniques) has an excellent series of videos for the beginner, including several projects where he takes you through the drawings and videotapes the machining to go along with it. Maybe a good project would be the carriage stop he made for his Dad's Atlas lathe. He includes all the drawings and a number of videos showing how each part is machined.

I always wanted to buy Tubalcain's flash drive video for the SB lathe, but I'm far too lazy to go to the post office in get a money order. When he finally starts accepting Paypal, I'll be happy to support him and get some great instruction in return. That said, I have invested literally YEARS of watching Lyle Peterson, Adam Booth, Keith Fenner, Tom Lipton (who also has published books) and Steve Summers- and I think I probably have learned everything that is covered in those videos. It would be nice to have them as a reference though for those of us who have actually taught ourselves machining through (more/less) YouTube alone.

Thanks for all the replies! Very good information to know!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back