Beginner tool set, live center etc.

Hi guys ...I knew I would great help here. Attached are pictures of the lathe. The tailstock MT is #2 and the headstock is #3. That is a kind offer Fistram if it would work for me. BTW ...I already own a good bit of other equipment ...a drill press, metal chop saw protable bandsaw, mig welder etc. so I am not totally new to metal. All this is much appreciated. Richard Atlas Lathe A.jpg

Atlas Lathe DIY Tool post A.jpgAtlas Lathe DIY Tool post B.jpgAtlas Lathe DIY Tool post C.jpgAtlas Lathe A.jpgAtlas Lathe DIY Tool post A.jpgAtlas Lathe DIY Tool post B.jpgAtlas Lathe DIY Tool post C.jpg

Richard welcome to the forum.
I've been in your place about year and a half ago and can say this forum is by far the best place to ask serious and beginner questions without anyone mocking you or being facetious, very good and knowledgeable group of people here. As for starter tools, i'll recommend a drill chuck, MT2 is very common size for drill press so you can buy one anywhere, evan hardware stores have them, next will be live centre, and centre drills, then get yourself couple of pieces of HSS cutters for softer metals, for a beginner, already shaped ready to use are better so you can learn the angles and what they do on your own, and lastly get yourself couple of carbide insert tool holders and inserts i've started to use them on everything, my preferred are CNMG, and DNMG, shapes, because your lathe is on the smaller size you can buy holders with positive or neutral rake that require less power to cut.

Headrc, it's got a 2MT arbor with no tang. You'll need to drill and tap the end for a bolt to eject it if your tail stock is set up for tangs. It's yours for the flat rate shipping, PM me your address.

Not sure on the used machinery dealers ...I would think so being that I am midway between Nashville and Knoxville.

I have to travel to a bit to any second hand dealers but always worth it I just never seem to have enough in my wallet when I get there. Most second hand dealers often get machinery as job lots and sell the tooling separate so you can often pick up some real bargains compared to new prices and depending on the shop the owner/staff usually know quite a bit about tools, will do deals and if you are after something in particular will keep a lookout and notify you if you ask nicely.
+ 1 what Mikey said. El cheapo brazed tip tools can be made a lot better with a quick hone on a Diamond lap. If you're not using the compound fit a solid block. If there is any way you can fit a rear toolpost parting will be easier just keep in mind that when parting alignment and rigidity is everything.

I have had my lathe and mill/drill for almost 2 years. The people on this site are awesome. There are no stupid questions here. So anything that has you puzzled just ask and you will get good answers to your questions. Have you been to Tubalcan's website? He is a retired shop teacher and has 100's of videos that explain in detail just about everything you need to know. The people here will provide you with the fine points.
I have found that I use my 3 jaw chuck for just about everything. I would say that at least 95% of what I do is in the 3 jaw.
Measuring is the key to success. Practice and practice and practice some more until you consistently get the same measurement. Accurately measuring the inside of bores is the most difficult for me. To be blunt I suck at it.

Making accessories for your lathe is a good way to learn. You will need a boring bar holder. Here is a link for an easy to make boring bar holder. https://smithy.com/projects/smithy-projects/boring-bar-holder/page/2. Quick change tool post (QCTP) holders are wonderful but expensive to buy. I have a 4 way which I like. It is similar to what you showed in your pictures. They are relatively easy to make. Another good project. Search for homemade or diy 4 way tool post and you will find plans and video's on how to make one.

Download a copy of the Atlas/Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operation (MOLO for short) and the South Bend How to run a Lathe books. They are invaluable for the basics. Better yet buy hard copies and keep them at your lathe for quick reference.
You will mess stuff up. Don't let it bother you. This is a hobby for most of us. Have fun.

Yes definitely on Tubalcain ...what a wealth of info. I just ordered his Atlas course ...although I could gleen that info in other places I wanted to support him. He deserves it. I also have a copy of the Atlas manual which I have read front to back.

I really appreciate all the info here. I am still not feeling there is a general favored source for beginners cutting tools themselves here. I took a look at the Harbor Freight ones yesterday and wrote them off as junk that I would have to fix first. So I am still looking for a beginning tool set to buy. Regarding the indexed tools ....are the carbide tips usually interchangeable ...brand specific? I am thinking as it may be better to go with HSS first as GoceUK recommended and learn to sharpen but as a newbie I am not certain on that. What about buying used bits ....stay away or that is depending on condition? Looking at those ...there are all kinds of shapes and sizes that I have no idea what they are. Can someone point to a good source for all these shapes and sizes. The standard ones are in the Atlas manual ...but there seems to be tons of variations out there.

One question on that DIY 4 way tool post that came with the lathe, are they meant to accommodate all the various sizes of tool bits? The 1/4 inch and 5/16 I saw yesterday seemed small for it. And regarding that, with the lathe I have ....does size of tool bit matter? Meaning it seems the larger the bit the more rigid I would think it would be and therefore maybe I should just go for larger bits in the beginning. But would that be too much for my lathe?

On that DIY boring bar holder suggestion mickri ...I don't have a mill so it looks like doing that is not possible. So that 4 way I already have will not hold boring bars properly...I wonder if I could just make an insert with the properly size metal for a boring bar hold for it?

Lots of questions I know here ...and that takes time to answer so thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Carbide inserts are not usually brand specific, but they are type specific. They come in various shapes and sizes and you have to match them when you buy replacements. It's not usually too hard, but try to ensure holders you get tell you the type to get. I would skip the triangle insert tools that are cheap and everywhere. I like the ones that take CCMT or similar inserts. Inserts are a whole world themselves, and getting the terms and names right can be a steep learning curve. The tools I've seen at HF are 1/4" for their mini-lathe. I would skip those.

To learn about HSS, start with the grinding thread here on HM. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/models-for-grinding-hss-lathe-tools.62111/ .... There is a PDF on the thread with the most important posts all in one place that is helpful to print and keep near the grinder when starting out. I call it "The Book Of Mikey", great stuff. Make sure to blame @mikey if you end up building a 2x72 grinder. :)

There are models being passed around so you can hold them in your hand and see what they should look like. Then you can grind your own to match. There is info in there about how to maintain (hone) the edges to keep them nice and sharp as well. Even if you decide not to get into grinding your own, it's valuable information to be familiar with. Given the size of the lathe, I would go HSS.

Most 4-way tool posts can hold boring bars, you just need to get the ones with flats ground on them so there's something to hold. Some of them also have V shaped grooves to help hold round bars. A QCTP is great, but a 4-way will work. As for tool size, I bet it's set up for 3/8" tools. You want a little room so you can shim them to put the tip of the tool on the centerline of the work, so make sure you have some shim stock. The feeler gauge set from Harbor Freight works great for that, you get a lot of sizes to work with! :D

I also have a copy of the Atlas manual which I have read front to back.

Another excellent read is: "The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H. Sparey. It's an old book so beautifully written and well illustrated with photographs and line drawings.

IMHO, the Atlas manual you have read, the South Bend book "How to Run a Lathe" and the Sparey book ought to be considered as required reading. Plus, all three match up to the correct era for the lathe you have.

I am thinking as it may be better to go with HSS first as GoceUK recommended and learn to sharpen but as a newbie I am not certain on that.

I started off (20 years ago) with HSS cutters and still use them extensively. I do have and use some inserts and other carbide tools but I really like HSS. I enjoy the process of grinding HSS cutters and I love the finish I get with HSS.

I use carbide tooling exclusively for boring and have a couple of really nice ($$$) boring bars that use inserts. But for general turning, I'm a HSS kinda guy.

Can someone point to a good source for all these shapes and sizes. The standard ones are in the Atlas manual

The standard ones in the Atlas manual are probably all you need for now. The same standard tools are going to be defined in the South Bend and Sparey books as well. You don't need them all right now. Start with the basics, get some experience cutting and go from there.

There is an excellent thread in this forum: "Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools" which is likely the best resource on the planet for HSS tool grinding.

One question on that DIY 4 way tool post that came with the lathe, are they meant to accommodate all the various sizes of tool bits? The 1/4 inch and 5/16 I saw yesterday seemed small for it. And regarding that, with the lathe I have ....does size of tool bit matter? Meaning it seems the larger the bit the more rigid I would think it would be and therefore maybe I should just go for larger bits in the beginning. But would that be too much for my lathe?

I'm guessing that your lathe would need an AXA size tool post setup. I think that size uses 3/8" and maybe up to 1/2" tooling -- is that right? (Sorry, I use BXA size.) Anyway, I tend to use tooling that is at or near the maximum the toolholder can accommodate. In my case (BXA) I use 1/2" and 5/8" tooling. Bigger == More Rigid. Rigid is good.

On that DIY boring bar holder suggestion

I'm of the opinion that boring bars are something that one should just bite the bullet and purchase.

Slowly acquire quality tools, learn to use them, be happy!

Welcome to machining!

Meta Key

Back