Beginner with a new (old) lathe. The Logan 815. But, I am needing everything.....

denwhit

Registered
Registered
The motor was the wrong mount and the capacitor was faulty. Removed that and am looking for another correct motor with the correct mounts. I like this one in that it isn't the "peg leg" model like Pete222 talks about. I've been watching him on YouTube and that is what made me buy this machine. Everything works and the gears all have their teeth! Now I just need to go to an auction site where I can find a box full of lathe tools. I don't even have a chuck for the 3 jaw, centering MT2 taper and of course the correct motor. I wish I could get ahold of Peterson (Pete222) as I know he has boxes of the stuff I need.
I'm Dennis and live in Salem, Oregon. I'll be reading the forums and learning all I can.

Attachments

• IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32
Welcome! Read, learn, and by all means ask questions. And remember no questions are dumb, we all have to start somewhere.

No Chuck key eh? Make a rough one by hand, then when the lathe is operational you can make a better one
Mark

I'm wondering what has to be done with the motors in these old lathes. Mine had to be started by rotating the jaws at first. Found out it was the capacitor. Replaced that but the motor repair guy says the motor is old, no bearings, starter windings probably bad, etc. etc. and then said it'd be a couple of months before he could get to it. The motor is 1/2HP, 110volt, and 1725 RPM. It has a 3/4" shaft which he says that is not available. But, noticed the pulley is almost $200 on Logan Actuator. How do you guys replace the motor with a new one? The motor is running for now but who knows how long. Thanks

You find a motor that fits the specs you need (rpm speed, hp rating, fwd/rvse capability) along with the ability to fit where needed then find or modify a pulley of the proper diameter and belt style to fit the shaft and then get to work putting things together.

Im afraid MrPete isnt into selling his tools. Seems he will be collecting what he can find until he is gone. Then let his family take care of the tools. Not that I can speak for him, but thats what I get out of it. As said above, look on the internet for a motor that you can use and then modify a pulley to suit your needs.

Back