Registered
> As a first off I am building the Eliot Isaacs Beginners Clock. I have
> completed the solid pattern Pallet Arms to the dimensions shown on the
> relevant drawing. This shows the pallet arm radius as 1.25" however on
> reading the setting up details in the text it indicates that this
> dimension should be 1.183". Before I start to carve out a new pallet has
> anyone made the clock to the drawing dimension of 1.25" with successful
> results?.
I know that Brian based his weight driven clock on Eliot Isaacs design and I hope he will be able to advise.
Many thanks

Hi Bardale
My apologies for not answering earlier, I somehow missed this post.
My pallet arms are made to 1 1/4" and the clock runs perfectly.
Are you making the standard version or the one with the Alec Price mods that allow it to run for 8 days ?
Regards Brian.

Hi Bardale
My apologies for not answering earlier, I somehow missed this post.
My pallet arms are made to 1 1/4" and the clock runs perfectly.
Are you making the standard version or the one with the Alec Price mods that allow it to run for 8 days ?
Regards Brian.
Hi Brian
Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I did build a weight driven clock to John Wildings instructions many moons ago so I thought I would stick to the standard version as a first off spring driven effort.
Regards
Another Brian!!

First post, so 'hello' everybody....

I have made the Eliot Issacs Beginners clock using the second drawing for the pallet arms at 1.25 inches from pivot to pallet...However I have not been able to get the clock to run and neither have two clock experts, one a former restorer with the Sience Museum in London....... I am now making the pallet arms to the 1.183 dimension. I'm using the Alec price improvements. I would be interested in any remarks!

First post, so 'hello' everybody....

I have made the Eliot Issacs Beginners clock using the second drawing for the pallet arms at 1.25 inches from pivot to pallet...However I have not been able to get the clock to run and neither have two clock experts, one a former restorer with the Sience Museum in London....... I am now making the pallet arms to the 1.183 dimension. I'm using the Alec price improvements. I would be interested in any remarks!

Hi Bugleone(?)
I have completed the going train on the basic clock and have tried pallet arms to both of the dimensions. I have been able to get it to run for a couple of hours but no more than that. Had to put it away for a while while I complete some "can you just" jobs for my son. I have bought the John Parslow book for a skeleton timepiece which is a modified version of the Alec Price version of the Eliott Issacs clock and it has a few ideas that I will pursue next. I had lots of suggestions from another forum which I have tried without success.I will report back if I have any success.
Brian Barrow

Bardale,..thanks for speedy reply!....What was the other forum that you tried please? Also, what size spring have you used?

Bardale,..thanks for speedy reply!....What was the other forum that you tried please? Also, what size spring have you used?

Hi, the other forum is a yahoo groups forum,"Horology for mini lathes". I simply ordered a spring from Ian T Cobb's listings, he is in the UK and a google search will bring up his website.

I have finished the new pallet arm to the 1.183inch dimension and the clock will not run at all. I am reliably told that it cannot work with this pallet as it is too small. I am currently re-trying the 1.25inch arm.

I'm still looking for ANYONE out there in the world at large who has made this clock and got it to run properly....?

Bardale,.......thanks for reply. Are you the same man who has the 'Deans Photographica' site? If you are, then I have looked at your site many times and wondered how to contact you as yours is the ONLY begginers clock that I have ever bee nable to find on teh web....i have been wondering if you ever finished/added to your clock! If you are 'Dean' then you do nice work! My own clock is quite different to the published design now....I shall try to work out how to post pix here, and then may post a few myself as it would be a nice contrast to the image you have just posted.

Back