Beginners Clock

Sorry Bugleone but I am not "Dean" Just post your pictures as "Attach Files" at the bottom of this screen.

This is my version of the E.Issacs Beginners clock which I made about three years ago but which I have not been able to get working....used the A. Price improvements but much of the clock is adapted to be at least a little bit more attractive as the original is rather ugly, frankly! I made everything in the clock except for the spring and two tiny adjusting screws on pallet arm (not shown)........most of the clock is made from scrap and off-cuts, the dial is made from epoxy putty and then polished to look like enamel......... Sorry I mistook you for 'Dean'.
IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3472.JPG

Last edited:
Hi I am away from home on holiday in Scotland at the moment but will be home on Monday.
I changed the design of my version of this clock from spring drive to get greater control over the power and to extend the running time..
I had a lot of trouble getting mine to run properly. the problems came down to the point on the pallets where they caught the escape wheel, this must be on the curve, if it is to deep the tip of the wheel cannot slide on the pallet. also the angle of the pallet had to be altered to ensure that the
wheel cleared the pallet cleanly and also did not foul the next tooth, this got the clock running but not reliably.
the reliability problem was solved by reducing the weight of the pendulum bob and replacing the steel rod with one made from aluminium, another point is that is very sensitive to getting the beat correct.
If I was making this clock again I would use a lighter suspension spring,

My clock now keeps good time and runs for 10 days.

Brian.

Hi Brian, many thanks for your suggestions. I have made a few alterations and the clock is ticking at the moment, for how long I will have to wait and see!! I think that the choice of the very basic clock may have been a mistake but it has provided a learning project. I like the modifications to the frame design that Bugleone has used, hope he manages to get it going.
Regards
Brian

I am still trying to get my clock to run. A fresh discovery is that I can get the clock to continue to run if I supply minimal finger pressure to the wheel bellow the 'scape wheel....... This now makes me think that the clock has a 'power supply problem', although on the advice of a top horological conservator I have already made another spring barrel and installed a more powerful spring.

If the clock cannot be made to run in the next few days/weeks then I have been told of a man who should be able to suggest an alternative escapement that I can substitute the existing one without changing the basic clock too much,...hopefully just the pallet arm and 'scape wheel.

Hi Bugleone
My basic clock has run for two days on a half winding. It is now ticking away on a full winding. When your clock stops are both the pallets free of the scape wheel in which case something is binding in the drive train. I reset the pallet arms and the scape wheel back into the depthing tool and took a long time just studying the action, I plugged the existing pallet arbour hole and redrilled it to a new dimension, after making a new back cock plate without the slotted holes. I then took a long time making micro adjustments to the pallet arm and back cock pendulum drive. Fingers crossed looks to have worked.

Interesting!...(and thanks for reply!)

I have two alternative 'stoppages'.........most common is that a tooth of the 'scape wheel catches on the edge of the pallet. It stops the clock with a little shudder and the 'scape tooth is right on the edge of the pallet flat. About every third 'stop' the clock just stops with no apparent reason.

..............I don't think my clock could actually stop with both pallets free of 'scape wheel........either one must be engaged if pallet arm is made to published dimension (1.25inch pallet to arm pivot)...for the scape wheel to be between the pallets then the "1 21/64inch" dimension would have to be badly wrong, but then again, who knows?...!!

Bardale,...congrats on finishing your clock!...it looks very nicely made and I like the face. By coincidence I have been working carefully on my clock during the last week.....last week I gained a copy of the book about making the so called 'Parslow Clock'. In fact this is actually the Elliot Issac clock with the Alec Price improvements. The contribution by John Parslow is minimal to the extent that merely removes the backcock adjustability and suggests a heavier pendulum bob. However, the real bonus of his book is to confirm some of the doubtful dimensions such as the pallet arm, and to explain in better terms how the escapement actually works.

I have been perusing the book and currently my clock is disassembled for measuring and analysis. Tomorrow morning I shall start reassembly using the Parslow setting up instructions.

Over Christmas a friend who is a good 'clock man' and a retired engineer managed to get my clock to run overnight on his bench but i have been unable to duplicate his achievement so far.....However, I do now feel more encouraged about the clock that any other time in the last few years!

.....As they say; "watch this space".......

Back