Beginners question on Fusion 360 Sculpt

Robo_Pi

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to sculpt a plane in Fusion 360.

I clicked on the Sculpt workspace and then CREATE - PLANE

I created a simple 6 x 6 face plane.

I then shaped the boundary using an underlying canvass as a guide. This was all done while it was still flat in the x-y plane.

Then I started to stretch this into a 3D surface. And what I noticed is that the position of the boundary points are moving when I stretch this form.

What I would like to be able to do is lock down the boundary points (or vertices) when I set up the original boundary so they don't move when I start stretching this into a 3D form.

Does anyone know how to lock these vertices down? I've been searching for information on how to do this but haven't been able to find the answer yet.

Here are some drawings to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Boundry Points -1.JPG

Boundry Points -2.JPG

Anyone know how to lock down these vertices when forming a face plane?

Thanks

Can you select a point and the boundary plane and make them coincident? This would fix the point to the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't yet used the constraints in a sketch. But that constraints menu doesn't appear to be available in the Sculpt workspace.

However, I think I found a way to do it. There is a "freeze" option in the sculpt mode. Apparently I can select an edge, vertex, or face and "freeze" that object in place.

I found this totally on my own. I couldn't find any information on the web or on the Fusion 360 site. I also watched a ton of videos on sculpting and thus far no one has had any need to freeze an edge, vertex or face. But for what I want to do it's paramount.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, but it seems to be working for now. I just saw the "freeze" command and tried it. :grin:

It appears to be working, so hopefully this has solved this problem. I'll post again if it isn't working the way I had hoped. But thus far it appears to be working ok.

I've made significant progress. Still have a lot to learn about Fusion 360 though. But that will happen over time.

So far I have drawn up a crude 3D mask of Alysha's face (Alysha is what I chose to name this robot head)

This mask doesn't look like much but it's drawn to perfect scale so I can use this mask as a reference for creating the skull frame and for a guide to designing all the servos that will be manipulating the features of the face.

Here are some screen shots of what I've done so far.

Front View:

Mask Front.JPG

Right View:

Mask Right.JPG

Back view: (Or inside of mask surface where servo anchors will be attached)

Mask Back.JPG

Is there a place on Hobby-Machinists where I could start a thread devoted to this enter robot head project?

I was thinking that I could also start a thread in this CAD for beginners forum and just post some videos on how I created these 3D Fusion 360 Drawings. Beginners could watch them and get ideas. Advanced users of Fusion 360 could tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I might be able to do what I'm trying to do in even better or easier ways.

Everything I've done so far is actually pretty crude and should probably be done over again from scratch starting with taking more accurate photos of the mask to use to a canvass. This first time through I was just trying to learn how Fusion 360 works.

I've made significant progress. Still have a lot to learn about Fusion 360 though. But that will happen over time.

So far I have drawn up a crude 3D mask of Alysha's face (Alysha is what I chose to name this robot head)

This mask doesn't look like much but it's drawn to perfect scale so I can use this mask as a reference for creating the skull frame and for a guide to designing all the servos that will be manipulating the features of the face.

Here are some screen shots of what I've done so far.

Front View:

View attachment 291593

Right View:

View attachment 291594

Back view: (Or inside of mask surface where servo anchors will be attached)

View attachment 291592

Is there a place on Hobby-Machinists where I could start a thread devoted to this enter robot head project?

I was thinking that I could also start a thread in this CAD for beginners forum and just post some videos on how I created these 3D Fusion 360 Drawings. Beginners could watch them and get ideas. Advanced users of Fusion 360 could tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I might be able to do what I'm trying to do in even better or easier ways.

Everything I've done so far is actually pretty crude and should probably be done over again from scratch starting with taking more accurate photos of the mask to use to a canvass. This first time through I was just trying to learn how Fusion 360 works.
Might get more responses on cnczone
C

This project doesn't really use CNC for anything. I'm not making the mask, I'm just drawing up the mask to use for reference for servo positions when building the skull frame.

I'm finding that Fusion 360 is extremely easy to use and I'm learning it quickly via video tutorials. Unfortunately I'm running it on an old notebook computer that doesn't have a lot of power and speed. It seems to run Fusion 360 fairly well by itself, but if I then try to do a screen capture to make an instructional video it tends to be too much for this little laptop.

I really need a better computer but it's not in the cards for me right now. I might need to go back to using Sketchup just to make my computer happy.

Yes! Go to this forum and start a thread!

Once you get started, I can merge this thread into that forum if you like, or you can start from scratch. Let me know.

Thanks Bryan,

I'll start the project thread from scratch since this thread was really just a question about Fusion 360 which I have since learned a lot more about.

I'm busy cutting lumber this spring, so my hobby projects are taking a back burner to lumber making. I like to get the lumber cut early so it can start curing. So that's pretty much a full-time job and will be for the whole month of May. Hopefully I can get back to playing with hobbies by June. :grin:

Back