[4]

Behold Upon My Big Rare Rusty Vise

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi guys,
I wasn't looking to buy a blacksmith post vise at all. I mean, come on! My 1 car garage is so packed with woodworking and metalworking equipment that I started to sell some woodworking stuff and decided to focus more on metalworking due to lack of space. Why would I want to blacksmith? I am a measly renter with a small outdoor patio and 1 car garage. Yet, fate was unkind, and I encountered deals that I could not resist. First, I know that basic price range asked for for blacksmith post vises listed on craigslist. So, when I saw, off of the LetGo app, a post vise for only $40. I could not resist. The seller told me his family used this vise for over 30 years in an ironworks business they had in San Francisco. All I saw was a rusty vise that was heavy enough to give the seller a hard time as he loaded it into my little hatchback car. It did look different. It didn't have a long dainty leg like most post vises I have seen. I later measured the jaws of this old thing. When I googled blacksmith post vises, to my surprise, the largest ones online that I could find had 6 inch wide jaws, and some were on sale for over $400. My vise has 7.5 inch jaws :) !! It is missing the leaf spring and mount, but I read it was not to hard to make.
Then, I was browsing craigslist and found a guy who was deep into knife making but had to sell his anvil, tree stump, tools and 2 burner propane forge quick due to moving to a tiny apartment the next day. I wasn't looking to buy blacksmithing stuff, but could not resist buying knowing I got a super deal.
Anyways, here are pics of my blacksmith stuff, and partial pic of the forge. In all honesty, I may have to sell the forge if I get in trouble with the apartment mgmt office for using a forge in my patio (I live in a townhouse style 2 story apartment where units are all next to eachother).

If I were to sell the blacksmith vise, do you think having or not have the leaf spring and mount would affect the price buyers are willing to pay when this size is rare, and the missing parts are easy to make? If so, I guess I will get that on before placing an ad. However, it is not for sure. A part of me wants to keep this mammoth thing that I don't really need just for bragging rights (Cue in Tim Allen grunt) :) By the way, the vise is 37 inches tall.

Thanks for reading my rant :')
Susan
20180612_171444.jpg 00m0m_beFF7ADsdCX_600x450.jpg IMG_2714.jpg

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Congrats on getting a SMOKIN' deal on all of these!

As for (horrors!) selling the vise, my thought is that you need to look at available time. Replacemant parts will obviously take time to make. Then their appearance won't match the rest of the vise, so you might want to spend some more time to clean it up a bit. All of the time spent will probably result in a much nicer price. So which is more valuable to you?

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Is this a cry for help ? I feel your pain , really . I to have a weakness for stuff , plus our commendations are modest at best . However we are retired and a huge machine shop is not needed any more , I'm having fun (sorta kind of ) thinking small . My new "machine shop is 8'x7' and I have no yard and our patio is strictly a patio . Sometimes less is more

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
That's a heck of a nice anvil you have there my dear

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Great deals , if the jaws are good and not beat I'd keep it . You will be sorry someday ,,,words my father told me when I sold an 8" bullet vise... and I have been ever since. Fix it for yourself try using it if YA really don't like it , then sell . Your furnace is small it may not bother the neighbors if you don't use it often and be safe. Super anvil set up , don't sell that cheap.

benmychree

John York
That is a farrier's (horse shoer's) anvil.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
That is a farrier's (horse shoer's) anvil.
Yup. That is fine with me. I am a middle aged single mom (but still hot, lol). I would make small items. No plans in making any swords anytime in my future :)

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
And I'm a lecherous old prevert ...:abnornal: I would think the noise of a hammer on anvil would be more likely to arouse the ire of a neighbor than the heat of a furnace.

Looking at the photos, the vise looks to have something welded on the bottom of the vertical. Would the shaft above (2-3 inch up) match the Hardy Hole on the anvil? Just a curiousity perspective, my father dates back to 190x and while not a smith, was well aquainted with tooling of the day (pre-depression). I have never seen a vise quite like that, but the fit(?) looks like it would work. Could have been.........
Bill Hudson​

benmychree

John York
TV aside, there is SO much blacksmithing besides (blades making) going on in today's world that the (ART) is vastly unappreciated. The popularity on TV of the bladecraft aspect of
And I'm a lecherous old prevert ...:abnornal: I would think the noise of a hammer on anvil would be more likely to arouse the ire of a neighbor than the heat of a furnace.

Looking at the photos, the vise looks to have something welded on the bottom of the vertical. Would the shaft above (2-3 inch up) match the Hardy Hole on the anvil? Just a curiousity perspective, my father dates back to 190x and while not a smith, was well aquainted with tooling of the day (pre-depression). I have never seen a vise quite like that, but the fit(?) looks like it would work. Could have been.........
Bill Hudson​
A situation like that would put the vice jaws at about eye level; does that make sense?

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
It does if you were working around a saw-mill with an eight foot head-saw.(Pop) Oh, I'm sorry, they haven't done things that way since before WW2. The rust is probably from sitting out in a salt atmosphere, not age. I could think of a dozen uses in a ship-yard alone. Or a railroad shop from the steam era. Or an iron foundry or steel mill before OSHA. (been there, done that, got lots of coffee cups and other neat stuff)

benmychree

John York
I am familiar with head rig saws, I volunteer at a steam powered sawmill, I run the engines; Google "Sturgeon's Mill"

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Well guys, I came across someone selling an awesome underdrive South Bend Heavy 10 lathe for a pretty good price. I think I may put the vise up for sale on craigslist in a day or two, so I can get the Heavy 10. Private message me if you are interested in possibly having a vise like no other, and are near the SF Bay Area.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
The blacksmith vise is not as rare as you think. I have seen a number on my local Craigslist over the years. Not an item for me.

I have an underdrive SB Heavy 10. I did a lot of disassembly and cleanup. Happy to help when you get your lathe. I do wonder how you have room for this machine.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Thank you so much Dave for your offer to help. I am in San Francisco. What city are you in?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Is this a cry for help ? I feel your pain , really . I to have a weakness for stuff , plus our commendations are modest at best . However we are retired and a huge machine shop is not needed any more , I'm having fun (sorta kind of ) thinking small . My new "machine shop is 8'x7' and I have no yard and our patio is strictly a patio . Sometimes less is more
My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people where they/I would be able to build practically anything we could imagine. I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools. I actually considered finding a larger workspace, but not serious about that at this moment. After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me :)

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people where they/I would be able to build practically anything we could imagine. I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools. I actually considered finding a larger workspace, but not serious about that at this moment. After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me :)
[Responses are Tim Allen grunting noises]

"My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people ..."

Mmmmmm :cautious:

" I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools..."

Ahhhhh:cheerful:

"After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me..."

Ahh hah hah hah :D

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
As an unrepentant tool accumulator I love these deals where the idea is to turn a killer deal that's not exactly what you are looking for into $$$ or trade for what you do want. I've tried it and suck at it. The best I can hope for is buy low and break even if I do sell. But around here there are tons of folks doing the knife thing so when those items come up(which they do semi often) they seem expensive. I've not noted prices on the post vise as that's not on my accumulation list but they seem to go hand in hand with the whole blacksmith lot you got going on here.

My 2c would be to clean up the vise and make a spring but don't worry about the mount as that is going to be dependent on where it's mounted so let the buyer worry about that.

We lived in a townhouse/condo for a while and the backyard was useless, not connected to the garage directly and to small. The garage was just big enough to make me crazy, just barely big enough to put my big rollaway tool box in and a small bench. I could see a lathe in there, maybe. But there was no way I'd be able to get away with the kind of noise and fire black smithing would entail.

I had a shop I could work in about 6mi away but much prefer being able to work in my own garage for the convenience. I wish you well and hope somebody comes along and gives you enough $$$ for the heavy 10 and tooling. That's also a nice dream about a makerlair (cool name)and I hope you find a nice group to do that with. I've always wanted to do that just never worked out.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
If you remember please PM me when your website is set up. I'd like to follow your stuff.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
Thank you so much Dave for your offer to help. I am in San Francisco. What city are you in?
I am on the other side of the country, eastern PA, not a city, just a small dot on the map.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Several years ago I taught a scraping class over in Richmond CA with the help of Benmychree's friend and DH Mayeron. DH, who knew world famous's Blacksmith asked if we could do a weekend class inside his shop, he said sure. I was inside his shop teaching away and up comes this guy and DH (his name is Dennis, but he prefers DH) and he introduces me to him and in the casual conversation I said "where are your horse-shoes?" My god he looked at me and started cussing at me..." He was a BLACKSMITH and not a Farrier!!" I was innocent as I was thinking of Gunsmoke and the Blacksmith...LOL Which I bet if you polled most people they would say that. LOL

I now know the difference and have met other famous Blacksmith's while teaching my scraping classes. Peter Ross in NC who is a good friend of Roy Underhill (Woodsmith) who I met out there too, I taught Peter to scrape.

DH also set up a class at another famous Blacksmith who Susan should contact who is over in Oakland Jim Austin who makes Throwing Axes, etc. http://forgedaxes.com/

Peter and Jim are on You Tube and teach it....I'm not sure about Michael who was President of the Blacksmith Association for several years and helped may a statue mounted on the New Bay Bridge that was built after the big earthquake they had that collapsed the old one..

Oh the first Smith was Michal Bondi, http://www.michaelbondi.com/ Never ask a Blacksmith if they make horseshoes..... lol Rich

Take a look at this . It's on Jim's website http://forgedaxes.com/?page_id=152 Pretty cool..

Last edited:

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
I am on the other side of the country, eastern PA, not a city, just a small dot on the map.
Oh. For some reason, I thought you were nearby and could visit, lol

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
[Responses are Tim Allen grunting noises]

"My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people ..."

Mmmmmm :cautious:

" I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools..."

Ahhhhh:cheerful:

"After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me..."

Ahh hah hah hah :D

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Omg. I am having a hard time interpreting emoji accent, lol

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
As an unrepentant tool accumulator I love these deals where the idea is to turn a killer deal that's not exactly what you are looking for into $$$ or trade for what you do want. I've tried it and suck at it. The best I can hope for is buy low and break even if I do sell. But around here there are tons of folks doing the knife thing so when those items come up(which they do semi often) they seem expensive. I've not noted prices on the post vise as that's not on my accumulation list but they seem to go hand in hand with the whole blacksmith lot you got going on here.

My 2c would be to clean up the vise and make a spring but don't worry about the mount as that is going to be dependent on where it's mounted so let the buyer worry about that.

We lived in a townhouse/condo for a while and the backyard was useless, not connected to the garage directly and to small. The garage was just big enough to make me crazy, just barely big enough to put my big rollaway tool box in and a small bench. I could see a lathe in there, maybe. But there was no way I'd be able to get away with the kind of noise and fire black smithing would entail.

I had a shop I could work in about 6mi away but much prefer being able to work in my own garage for the convenience. I wish you well and hope somebody comes along and gives you enough $$$ for the heavy 10 and tooling. That's also a nice dream about a makerlair (cool name)and I hope you find a nice group to do that with. I've always wanted to do that just never worked out.
Thanks C-Bag. I occasionally surf craigslist for potential workshop spaces available by residential home owners. It's just window shopping since, ultimately, I want my shop within a few feet from me where I can have instant access. I know I shouldn't have bought the anvil/stand/forge since I didn't even plan of blacksmithing. I will keep them for awhile after the workshop is finally up and making stuff. Then, if it looks like I won't use it, I will probably sell for a small profit. I can't keep everything. I have learned that, with metalworking, it is sooo easy to become a tool and machinery hoarder, lol. I have met do many older machinists who have 3 or more of the same type of machibe, but different makes/models - all with a "justified" reason why they have multiples. :)

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Several years ago I taught a scraping class over in Richmond CA with the help of Benmychree's friend and DH Mayeron. DH, who knew world famous's Blacksmith asked if we could do a weekend class inside his shop, he said sure. I was inside his shop teaching away and up comes this guy and DH (his name is Dennis, but he prefers DH) and he introduces me to him and in the casual conversation I said "where are your horse-shoes?" My god he looked at me and started cussing at me..." He was a BLACKSMITH and not a Farrier!!" I was innocent as I was thinking of Gunsmoke and the Blacksmith...LOL Which I bet if you polled most people they would say that. LOL

I now know the difference and have met other famous Blacksmith's while teaching my scraping classes. Peter Ross in NC who is a good friend of Roy Underhill (Woodsmith) who I met out there too, I taught Peter to scrape.

DH also set up a class at another famous Blacksmith who Susan should contact who is over in Oakland Jim Austin who makes Throwing Axes, etc. http://forgedaxes.com/

Peter and Jim are on You Tube and teach it....I'm not sure about Michael who was President of the Blacksmith Association for several years and helped may a statue mounted on the New Bay Bridge that was built after the big earthquake they had that collapsed the old one..

Oh the first Smith was Michal Bondi, http://www.michaelbondi.com/ Never ask a Blacksmith if they make horseshoes..... lol Rich

Take a look at this . It's on Jim's website http://forgedaxes.com/?page_id=152 Pretty cool..

Thanks, Richard King 2. I will definitely check out your websites. Also, thanks for the warning about Blacksmiths not wanting to be called horseshoe makers, lol

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
There is a lot to be said for confined space :) My ultimate dream is finding an old warehouse with a living space. My wife would even be good with that, how cool is that! But it drives me crazy tv shows and movies are chock full of cool spaces like that but in real life they are impossible to find it seems. A good friend who does industrial glass for a living has a place in Benecia where it's an old industrial area that has been taken over by other artists and small industrial stuff. Have you ever seen Oxtools you tubes? Now HE has my dream place where they have a huge shop where he has one side, his wife has the other and they live in a loft or mezzanine upstairs.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
There is a lot to be said for confined space :) My ultimate dream is finding an old warehouse with a living space. My wife would even be good with that, how cool is that! But it drives me crazy tv shows and movies are chock full of cool spaces like that but in real life they are impossible to find it seems. A good friend who does industrial glass for a living has a place in Benecia where it's an old industrial area that has been taken over by other artists and small industrial stuff. Have you ever seen Oxtools you tubes? Now HE has my dream place where they have a huge shop where he has one side, his wife has the other and they live in a loft or mezzanine upstairs.
Yup, that would be awesome. Unfortunately (actually I shouldn't say unfortunately), I have a 10 year old son and 20 year old daughter (who UNFORTUNATELY doesn't want to move out). I'd have to find a 1-in-a-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-Billion ultra cheap open space for me to afford it. Or, I can be a typical Asian woman and find me a rich old white guy to take care of me, lol. Btw, I'm Asian, so I can say this ;-) . Btw, if I offended anyone, please let me know. I was just joking, but will refrain in the future if my sense if humor offends anyone.

Last edited:

brino

Active User
I have a 10 year old son and 20 year old daughter (who UNFORTUNATELY doesn't want to move out)
Every Blacksmith needs a helper.
Can she swing a sledge hammer?
Maybe you won't need to find a power-hammer.
-brino

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Btw, if I offended anyone, please let me know. I was just joking, but will refrain in the future if my sense if humor offends anyone.
As an old married guy I didn't get offended, I got deer in the headlights scared :) (that was to before you edited it) The world has gotten so full of minefields I've long ago adopted a line that Meg Ryan said in one of my favorite Tom Hanks movies, Joe vs the Volcano. I can't remember the situation, but her response was, "I have response to that" in a very off hand way.

In my experience being patient and having clear intention without being too ridged in my expectations along with being very clear what I DON'T want has ended me up where I never dreamed I would. compared with where I was its kind of a miracle. Putting yourself out there with this makerlair is just the first step at seeing what will stick. And if it's like me it will be something totally out right field that you didn't see coming. Billion to one cheap/free work space, check. Rich dood, check. Winning lotto ticket?

[6]
[5] [7]