Behold Upon My Big Rare Rusty Vise

It does if you were working around a saw-mill with an eight foot head-saw.(Pop) Oh, I'm sorry, they haven't done things that way since before WW2. The rust is probably from sitting out in a salt atmosphere, not age. I could think of a dozen uses in a ship-yard alone. Or a railroad shop from the steam era. Or an iron foundry or steel mill before OSHA. (been there, done that, got lots of coffee cups and other neat stuff)

I am familiar with head rig saws, I volunteer at a steam powered sawmill, I run the engines; Google "Sturgeon's Mill"

Well guys, I came across someone selling an awesome underdrive South Bend Heavy 10 lathe for a pretty good price. I think I may put the vise up for sale on craigslist in a day or two, so I can get the Heavy 10. Private message me if you are interested in possibly having a vise like no other, and are near the SF Bay Area.

The blacksmith vise is not as rare as you think. I have seen a number on my local Craigslist over the years. Not an item for me.

I have an underdrive SB Heavy 10. I did a lot of disassembly and cleanup. Happy to help when you get your lathe. I do wonder how you have room for this machine.

Thank you so much Dave for your offer to help. I am in San Francisco. What city are you in?

Is this a cry for help ? I feel your pain , really . I to have a weakness for stuff , plus our commendations are modest at best . However we are retired and a huge machine shop is not needed any more , I'm having fun (sorta kind of ) thinking small . My new "machine shop is 8'x7' and I have no yard and our patio is strictly a patio . Sometimes less is more
My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people where they/I would be able to build practically anything we could imagine. I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools. I actually considered finding a larger workspace, but not serious about that at this moment. After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me :)

My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people where they/I would be able to build practically anything we could imagine. I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools. I actually considered finding a larger workspace, but not serious about that at this moment. After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me :)

[Responses are Tim Allen grunting noises]

"My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people ..."

Mmmmmm :cautious:

" I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools..."

Ahhhhh:cheerful:

"After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me..."

Ahh hah hah hah :D

As an unrepentant tool accumulator I love these deals where the idea is to turn a killer deal that's not exactly what you are looking for into $$$ or trade for what you do want. I've tried it and suck at it. The best I can hope for is buy low and break even if I do sell. But around here there are tons of folks doing the knife thing so when those items come up(which they do semi often) they seem expensive. I've not noted prices on the post vise as that's not on my accumulation list but they seem to go hand in hand with the whole blacksmith lot you got going on here.

My 2c would be to clean up the vise and make a spring but don't worry about the mount as that is going to be dependent on where it's mounted so let the buyer worry about that.

We lived in a townhouse/condo for a while and the backyard was useless, not connected to the garage directly and to small. The garage was just big enough to make me crazy, just barely big enough to put my big rollaway tool box in and a small bench. I could see a lathe in there, maybe. But there was no way I'd be able to get away with the kind of noise and fire black smithing would entail.

I had a shop I could work in about 6mi away but much prefer being able to work in my own garage for the convenience. I wish you well and hope somebody comes along and gives you enough $$$ for the heavy 10 and tooling. That's also a nice dream about a makerlair (cool name)and I hope you find a nice group to do that with. I've always wanted to do that just never worked out.

If you remember please PM me when your website is set up. I'd like to follow your stuff.

Back