Behold Upon My Big Rare Rusty Vise

Several years ago I taught a scraping class over in Richmond CA with the help of Benmychree's friend and DH Mayeron. DH, who knew world famous's Blacksmith asked if we could do a weekend class inside his shop, he said sure. I was inside his shop teaching away and up comes this guy and DH (his name is Dennis, but he prefers DH) and he introduces me to him and in the casual conversation I said "where are your horse-shoes?" My god he looked at me and started cussing at me..." He was a BLACKSMITH and not a Farrier!!" I was innocent as I was thinking of Gunsmoke and the Blacksmith...LOL Which I bet if you polled most people they would say that. LOL

I now know the difference and have met other famous Blacksmith's while teaching my scraping classes. Peter Ross in NC who is a good friend of Roy Underhill (Woodsmith) who I met out there too, I taught Peter to scrape.

DH also set up a class at another famous Blacksmith who Susan should contact who is over in Oakland Jim Austin who makes Throwing Axes, etc. http://forgedaxes.com/

Peter and Jim are on You Tube and teach it....I'm not sure about Michael who was President of the Blacksmith Association for several years and helped may a statue mounted on the New Bay Bridge that was built after the big earthquake they had that collapsed the old one..

Oh the first Smith was Michal Bondi, http://www.michaelbondi.com/ Never ask a Blacksmith if they make horseshoes..... lol Rich

Take a look at this . It's on Jim's website http://forgedaxes.com/?page_id=152 Pretty cool..

Last edited:
[Responses are Tim Allen grunting noises]

"My problem is that I am hoping to make a workshop to eventually share with other people ..."

Mmmmmm :cautious:

" I am hoping to inspire more females to not be afraid to work with power tools..."

Ahhhhh:cheerful:

"After I organize my workshop more, I will finally start posting stuff on my website (not setup yet) called makerlair.com. I chose the domain , makerlair, since woman cave and she den sound lame to me..."

Ahh hah hah hah :D

Omg. I am having a hard time interpreting emoji accent, lol

As an unrepentant tool accumulator I love these deals where the idea is to turn a killer deal that's not exactly what you are looking for into $$$ or trade for what you do want. I've tried it and suck at it. The best I can hope for is buy low and break even if I do sell. But around here there are tons of folks doing the knife thing so when those items come up(which they do semi often) they seem expensive. I've not noted prices on the post vise as that's not on my accumulation list but they seem to go hand in hand with the whole blacksmith lot you got going on here.

My 2c would be to clean up the vise and make a spring but don't worry about the mount as that is going to be dependent on where it's mounted so let the buyer worry about that.

We lived in a townhouse/condo for a while and the backyard was useless, not connected to the garage directly and to small. The garage was just big enough to make me crazy, just barely big enough to put my big rollaway tool box in and a small bench. I could see a lathe in there, maybe. But there was no way I'd be able to get away with the kind of noise and fire black smithing would entail.

I had a shop I could work in about 6mi away but much prefer being able to work in my own garage for the convenience. I wish you well and hope somebody comes along and gives you enough $$$ for the heavy 10 and tooling. That's also a nice dream about a makerlair (cool name)and I hope you find a nice group to do that with. I've always wanted to do that just never worked out.
Thanks C-Bag. I occasionally surf craigslist for potential workshop spaces available by residential home owners. It's just window shopping since, ultimately, I want my shop within a few feet from me where I can have instant access. I know I shouldn't have bought the anvil/stand/forge since I didn't even plan of blacksmithing. I will keep them for awhile after the workshop is finally up and making stuff. Then, if it looks like I won't use it, I will probably sell for a small profit. I can't keep everything. I have learned that, with metalworking, it is sooo easy to become a tool and machinery hoarder, lol. I have met do many older machinists who have 3 or more of the same type of machibe, but different makes/models - all with a "justified" reason why they have multiples. :)

Several years ago I taught a scraping class over in Richmond CA with the help of Benmychree's friend and DH Mayeron. DH, who knew world famous's Blacksmith asked if we could do a weekend class inside his shop, he said sure. I was inside his shop teaching away and up comes this guy and DH (his name is Dennis, but he prefers DH) and he introduces me to him and in the casual conversation I said "where are your horse-shoes?" My god he looked at me and started cussing at me..." He was a BLACKSMITH and not a Farrier!!" I was innocent as I was thinking of Gunsmoke and the Blacksmith...LOL Which I bet if you polled most people they would say that. LOL

I now know the difference and have met other famous Blacksmith's while teaching my scraping classes. Peter Ross in NC who is a good friend of Roy Underhill (Woodsmith) who I met out there too, I taught Peter to scrape.

DH also set up a class at another famous Blacksmith who Susan should contact who is over in Oakland Jim Austin who makes Throwing Axes, etc. http://forgedaxes.com/

Peter and Jim are on You Tube and teach it....I'm not sure about Michael who was President of the Blacksmith Association for several years and helped may a statue mounted on the New Bay Bridge that was built after the big earthquake they had that collapsed the old one..

Oh the first Smith was Michal Bondi, http://www.michaelbondi.com/ Never ask a Blacksmith if they make horseshoes..... lol Rich

Take a look at this . It's on Jim's website http://forgedaxes.com/?page_id=152 Pretty cool..

Thanks, Richard King 2. I will definitely check out your websites. Also, thanks for the warning about Blacksmiths not wanting to be called horseshoe makers, lol

There is a lot to be said for confined space :) My ultimate dream is finding an old warehouse with a living space. My wife would even be good with that, how cool is that! But it drives me crazy tv shows and movies are chock full of cool spaces like that but in real life they are impossible to find it seems. A good friend who does industrial glass for a living has a place in Benecia where it's an old industrial area that has been taken over by other artists and small industrial stuff. Have you ever seen Oxtools you tubes? Now HE has my dream place where they have a huge shop where he has one side, his wife has the other and they live in a loft or mezzanine upstairs.

There is a lot to be said for confined space :) My ultimate dream is finding an old warehouse with a living space. My wife would even be good with that, how cool is that! But it drives me crazy tv shows and movies are chock full of cool spaces like that but in real life they are impossible to find it seems. A good friend who does industrial glass for a living has a place in Benecia where it's an old industrial area that has been taken over by other artists and small industrial stuff. Have you ever seen Oxtools you tubes? Now HE has my dream place where they have a huge shop where he has one side, his wife has the other and they live in a loft or mezzanine upstairs.
Yup, that would be awesome. Unfortunately (actually I shouldn't say unfortunately), I have a 10 year old son and 20 year old daughter (who UNFORTUNATELY doesn't want to move out). I'd have to find a 1-in-a-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-Billion ultra cheap open space for me to afford it. Or, I can be a typical Asian woman and find me a rich old white guy to take care of me, lol. Btw, I'm Asian, so I can say this ;-) . Btw, if I offended anyone, please let me know. I was just joking, but will refrain in the future if my sense if humor offends anyone.

Last edited:
I have a 10 year old son and 20 year old daughter (who UNFORTUNATELY doesn't want to move out)

Every Blacksmith needs a helper.
Can she swing a sledge hammer?
Maybe you won't need to find a power-hammer.
-brino

Btw, if I offended anyone, please let me know. I was just joking, but will refrain in the future if my sense if humor offends anyone.

As an old married guy I didn't get offended, I got deer in the headlights scared :) (that was to before you edited it) The world has gotten so full of minefields I've long ago adopted a line that Meg Ryan said in one of my favorite Tom Hanks movies, Joe vs the Volcano. I can't remember the situation, but her response was, "I have response to that" in a very off hand way.

In my experience being patient and having clear intention without being too ridged in my expectations along with being very clear what I DON'T want has ended me up where I never dreamed I would. compared with where I was its kind of a miracle. Putting yourself out there with this makerlair is just the first step at seeing what will stick. And if it's like me it will be something totally out right field that you didn't see coming. Billion to one cheap/free work space, check. Rich dood, check. Winning lotto ticket?

Back