Belt drive for large diameter lazy susan platform

The last day or so the specification has been relaxed a bit. The absolute accuracy need is not really known and the first numbers I was given were just a w.a.g.. It is down to "make it pretty accurate but let's not get carried away". These types of "no spec" projects seem to go one of two ways. It is either that I can't fail or that I can't win.

If I do go for it I will be using a servo with a built-in encoder and a stout toothed belt and both toothed pulleys. I have a couple DC servos/drives lying around, one with a 1024 line encoder. I think I will include an index pulse directly on the platform too. With the pulley ratio of 8 or more, the resolution is there, maybe not the precision since it is once removed from the platform.

It is common practice to produce a linear drive with a fixed timing belt, that is one fixed at both ends.
The belt is stationary and the drive moves along it, producing a continuous rotary drive this way would prove difficult to terminate the belt at the ends. If you can find an inexpensive method of doing so this will be highly sought after in the packaging and labeling industries.

Back