Belt Drive Installed

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally got everything back together. Much quieter. :)

Low range tops out at ~2400 rpm. I see almost 3800 rpm in high range.

Next to go is this motor/electronics. I've found a 1100w 6000 rpm BLDC motor w/digital controls.

Photo.jpg

Bill

Photo.jpg

Are you using the original spindle, quill and drawbar setup? I don't see it sticking up through the pulley. I used a cog belt, which gives me a single speed, mainly because I could find pulleys that were close to what I needed. Is the block and knob at teh front a way to hold the spindle from turning or something else?

By the way - Nice work!

Are you using the original spindle, quill and drawbar setup? I don't see it sticking up through the pulley. I used a cog belt, which gives me a single speed, mainly because I could find pulleys that were close to what I needed. Is the block and knob at teh front a way to hold the spindle from turning or something else?

By the way - Nice work!

Using the original spindle, quill and drawbar (minus the little drawbar screw on cover...threw that away right after I got the machine). The drawbar wasn't in the spindle when I took this pic. It sticks up above the front pulley about an inch.

The block and knob holds a folded steel cover to deter unintended objects from interacting with the front pulley and belt. :)

The internal gear carrier was replaced with a EDM'd splined sleeve that extends above the top bearing for mounting the front pulley. A screw on cap is used to retain the quill spring, replacing the goofy cap/spring clip stock arrangement. I replaced the gear carrier bearings with sealed units, and the spindle bearings with angular contacts. No more internal or intermediate plastic gears! :D

And as much as I would like to say that I made this, I didn't. This is one of Scott's (BenchTopPrecision) early belt drive efforts. He's got the bugs out now and taking orders for his drop-in kits. I had to do some tweaks, and Scott had to remake some parts that he originally made for a PM25 (for free I might add), but the design is his.

Bill

Back