Belt for Atlas Lathe

Thanks everyone. I should have added in my first post that I intend to take the spindle apart anyhow. I don't expect that to be difficult - I have taken the spindle out of my MFC several times, and it is the same basic design as the lathe.

I'll go ahead and install the standard V belt. Sounds like there is no advantage to the ribbed belt unless the pulleys are small.

I’ve run both and would argue “for” the link belt. If you are running the lathe so much that the zamak is wearing due to the belt, my guess is that the lathe is on it’s last legs. Link belts run cool, quiet, offer great power transmission and are of course very convenient; no removal of the spindle (although that isn’t a huge deal and if you are replacing the belt you should likely check the preload at the same time. I’ve owned 4 Atlas lathes, rebuilt all four, an Atlas drill press and a Japanese knee mill. All are fitted now with quiet running link belts and are trouble free..... and will be so for the rest of my life (I’m guessing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Moderatemixed. The lathe is actually in pretty good shape. But I have a home made aluminum pulley on the countershaft. I invested maybe 20 hours in making the pulley, so I am protective of it. I want to clean out the thoroughly gunked up headstock anyhow, so I'll go ahead and put on a new V belt. I can always cut the belt and install a link belt if I change my mind.

IMG_2343.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

I don't wish to rekindle a link versus V war again, but I once did a quickie survey and came to the conclusion that most times when someone claims that the link belt they shifted to is quieter than the V-belt it replaced, they were comparing a new link belt to a 70+ year-old V-belt. However, there is one characteristic of many cheap V-belts that belies that statement, and that is even a slight misalignment of the splice can cause an audible once-around "thump". Proving once again that you usually get what you are willing to pay for.

AIUI, link belt is directional. If you ever plan to run your lathe in reverse, the link belt may snag leading to 'bad things'.

I've never understood the claims that link belts are quieter. A properly adjusted v-belt is virtually silent. The link belts I'm familiar with [1] are composed of many small pieces. As they go around a pulley, the pieces inevitably rub against each other creating sound. They also stir a lot more air...again creating sound. Not a lot of sound but more than a regular v-belt.

That said, I have a link belt on my Atlas 618 because it is so much more convenient. I don't find the sound objectionable.

Craig
[1] http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/_/PowerTwist-Drive-3L/

I think that Fenner either invented or at least commercialized the link belt. In their early ads, they cautioned against running it backwards. And their selling points were nainly aimed at commercial users with a lot of different belt driven equipment. One selling point was a reduction in cost and space to stock some of every size belt used in the plant. In more recent years, they have apparently been going after the consumer market and the caution against running it in reverse has been dropped.

The new belt is installed. Disassembly and reassembly of the headstock went well, but did take a lot of time. I cleaned 65 years of dried grease off the gears, which was a chore. The old belt was labeled "Atlas Press Co. S7126". I'm pretty sure it was the original.

The old belt tended to slightly rise and fall in the V slots, one time per belt rotation. This caused the backgear bracket to do a little bounce each belt rotation, which transferred to the lathe bed. I suspect the belt had a wide spot or a less flexible spot - maybe at the point where the belt material was joined together into a loop. I went with a Gates Truflex. Not sure if that was a wise choice or not, but that is what I did. It definitely runs smoother than the original belt. But again, there is a little bounce once per belt rotation, although clearly less than with the old belt.

I will try the lathe for a few months with the Gates. I may eventually try a link belt - I could move the Gates off to the side - would not have to cut it. If I get the ambition I might take the headstock apart again and try a ribbed belt. I have one on the motor and it runs perfectly.
Finished1.jpg

Back