Belt Sander/Grinder ???

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
I know the knife guys are all gungho about the 2x72 belt grinders these days, but I was wondering how many other metal workers really like using these. Seems like some guys like to use them for both steel and wood. Oddly what I have heard seems backwards. They grind fast with steel and slower with wood.

Do you have one?

Do you use it often?

Are you on the fence about the cost, but would use one if you had it?

I have a 1x30 that gets a fair amount of use, and a 4x36 that doesn't mostly because its gutless. I probably use my 1x30 as a belt grinder about the same amount as my bench grinder.

I can build one if I want. Of course if I really wanted I imagine I could put a bigger motor on my 4x36 too.

I’m putting finishing touches on a KMG clone now. Knobs, handles, and replacing the plastic idler wheels with aluminum.
I turned the drive wheel to 12” circumference so the tach reads SPM
It’s been functional for about three weeks and I have only turned the bench grinder on once.. with a wide selection of belts in different grits it is so much easier and safer to use.
As for cost there is no way I would pay the $800 to $2k that these things sell for retail. I doubt I have much over $100 dollars invested in this one though. A free 3hp treadmill motor off Craigslist powers it.

"I turned the drive wheel to 12” circumference so the tach reads SPM"

Now that is clever!

Robert

I have a Dayton 2" x 42" and it's very heavily used. Also use a Dremel (whoafully underpowered) 1" x 30".

Bruce

I have a Dremel 1x30, not very good. Just got a 6x48 with 9 inch have stared to use it more, In fact since getting it up and running have not used the bench grinder yet. have thought about making a 2x72 or something, have several motors sitting but have to get other items.

I had a "Square Wheel" 2 X 72 in my shop when I sold out, bought it new and loved it, but the 2K plus they want for a new one stops me dead so far as buying a new one. I would think they could sell for 1K and still make a considerable profit.

I have an older Craftsman 2 x 42 with 6" disk. I use the belt all the time, and rarely use the disc. Would not be without the belt again.

Thats my rig has belt stone and polishing
Its on lockable wheels so just wheel it around to were i want and lock the wheels .
I need to tidy the cables up a bit yet
20171229_094956.jpg20171229_095010.jpg20171229_094947.jpg

The Jet 41002 is in the 4++ dollar range 3/4 hp 2x42

1021171223_zpsrmukem9d.jpg

Last edited:
Back