Belt Sander/Grinder ???

Things have changed with the advent of ceramic belts, so much so that I think a belt sander is far more useful in the shop than a bench grinder. Well, at least in my shop. I have used my bench grinder no more than a half-dozen times over the last decade and that was mostly for shaping or refreshing my gravers. For lathe tool grinding and general fabrication of steel and aluminum stuff the belt sander is a vastly superior tool.

I think the current designs for 2X72 grinders is awesome. They can be built in a hobby shop for fairly low cost and with a good tool rest and platen it should be able to do everything a metal working hobby guy needs. I do not own a 2X72 but I will someday. Until then, my little 2X42 belt sanders will suffice.

Bob, if lathe tool grinding is something you plan to use it for, a belt sander will grind faster, cooler and be easier to use than a bench grinder. With a good tool rest and glass platen it will easily become an indispensable tool in your shop. I would go for it and I would build a 2X72 if you do. Belts last longer, cut cooler and faster than the shorter belts and are widely available in different grits and compositions. Try the ceramic belts - they cut amazingly well.

Good luck with this and do post up if you build one.

Reactions: Z2V
I’m putting finishing touches on a KMG clone now. Knobs, handles, and replacing the plastic idler wheels with aluminum.
I turned the drive wheel to 12” circumference so the tach reads SPM
It’s been functional for about three weeks and I have only turned the bench grinder on once.. with a wide selection of belts in different grits it is so much easier and safer to use.

Jeff,
Do you have a build thread for that?
I'd like to see it!
Thanks,
-brino

brino
Sorry, I did not do a build thread, just kinda put it together a little here and a little there. Here’s a pic of it as it is now. It still needs knobs and handles but fully functional.
1B61EFF3-636A-4083-A534-5C10BA0870D9.jpegF2A3EF54-7C89-482C-B09D-CF490D8A5A25.jpeg

You guys are starting to convince me. I do grind some of my own lathe bits. I tend to use my bench grinder to rough them out, finish grind them on the 1x30 and then hand finish them with a stone and or diamond hone depending on my mood at the time. I also free hand sharpen my own drills. By swinging my magnifier lamp over the grinder it makes it dead easy.

I've used both a bench grinder and belt sander for grinding lathe tools and my opinion is that the job is much faster and easier to do on a belt sander. I just recently changed to ceramic belts, even though the knife guys have been using them for years, and I was amazed at how much faster and cooler they grind vs aluminum oxide belts. I recently ground some mild steel plate for a tool rest for my friend's grinder and it eats mild steel so fast that it almost grinds like wood.

Jeff (@Z2V) recently made a tool rest for his bench grinder and also just made a 2x72 - what do you think about the differences for lathe tool grinding, Jeff?

I agree Mike. The belt gets my vote also. I made a left hand turning tool the other night (3/8” HSS) and it was ready to hone in about five minutes, and that’s using two belts. I used a coarse ceramic and finished off with about 200 grit AO. The bit never got too hot to hold and did not change color. If I remember correctly I was spinning the belt about 2200 sfpm.

Yeah, I made a 2 x 72 a couple of years ago from a treadmill motor and material from my scrap pile. I have $200 to 300 in it. I originally built it for deburring. It has now become one of my go to machines. I am still finding new uses for it. I recently discovered that it was great for grinding down hard rubber.
Randy

I've used both a bench grinder and belt sander for grinding lathe tools and my opinion is that the job is much faster and easier to do on a belt sander. I just recently changed to ceramic belts, even though the knife guys have been using them for years, and I was amazed at how much faster and cooler they grind vs aluminum oxide belts. I recently ground some mild steel plate for a tool rest for my friend's grinder and it eats mild steel so fast that it almost grinds like wood.

Jeff (@Z2V) recently made a tool rest for his bench grinder and also just made a 2x72 - what do you think about the differences for lathe tool grinding, Jeff?
Mike,
I’m a little confused. Aluminum oxide is ceramic. What’s the difference?
Evan

Back