Belt Sander ID?

RossB

Registered
Registered
I've been scouring CL and FB Marketplace for a year or more, trying to locate a good quality American-made belt sander; preferably something old and heavy. I saw this one this morning, but the seller says that there is no identification on it. Does anyone recognize the model/maker?Belt sander.JPG

Looks to be fairly new, most likely an import. I’m not a fan of Far East machines. I’d keep looking for the old American Iron. Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. It's a Grizzly. I just found another one that's identical. I much prefer a 50's or 60's era American piece.

It looks like a generic Asian made sander. I have two of them. One I inherited free from work. The bearings were shot so I replaced them (20 years ago). That is a high RPM one. I have a low RPM one I bought last year. Both are the same basic machine with the newer one having an improvement in rigidity. The belt tracks better/longer. Mine have both worked very well for me. I use the high speed one for metal and the slow speed one for wood working.

This old Rockwell might be a contender. I don't care if looks rough as long as it's made with quality castings and components.
View attachment 323280View attachment 323281

I have one of those I picked up from the village DPW for $75. Only thing wrong with mine is they dropped it and busted the table adjuster so it's been repaired with a piece of angle iron, doesn't matter to me since I don't plan on sanding angles with the table anyway.

Once you figure out how to keep the belt centered they are great machines, you will be happy with it.

John

Back