BELT SANDER REPAIR

Thanks MrWhoopee. The fence / table is adjustable from a +10 to a -60 degrees. It's too oily to add paint. Trying to just get it done during a 60hr work week is good enough for now. Sticking to a theme of all the shop made replacement parts get painted red. I kept the belt adjustability from horizontal to vertical when making the main brace.

20181020 01.jpg

Finished for now.

It's too oily to add paint.

Paint is for people who can't produce or appreciate good machine work.

edit: As a master-carpenter friend put it: "Putty and paint what the carpenter ain't"

Last edited:
Well MrWhoopee, I appreciate your perspective. Yet, I am glad I took the table / fence down for paint. See, I kept the belt angle adjustable just as designed - only I used real steel for the main support & grade 8 bolts for assembly. Well, the belt carriage began to slip & lose it's angle. As designed (regardless of whose bolts were used), angle changes for the belt tilt required removing the disk table, disk & loosen off the belt pulley just to get at the bolt heads. This pinch bolt arrangement was replaced with T nuts on the back side that travel in the semi circle angle adjustment holes & studs. Now I can change the angle of the belt without taking anything apart!

20181104 01.jpg

Besides, the red paint actually draws attention away from the crappy sander & onto the parts I made. Ready to Rock again!

Looks good @BROCKWOOD, I usually paint my stuff also.
Good to hear you are recovering well from back surgery. Hang in there.

Well MrWhoopee, I appreciate your perspective. Yet, I am glad I took the table / fence down for paint.
Besides, the red paint actually draws attention away from the crappy sander & onto the parts I made. Ready to Rock again!

I was actually being facetious, which doesn't always translate well in print. You have to do something to prevent rust. The red does indeed draw attention to those parts and is a nice contrast to the usual tool gray. Nice work all around.

I'm not too impressed with the table on mine. Aluminum , a single support and very flimsy angle bracket.

You may be up for modifications / improvements on yours too Downwindtracker2.

Yes I just might. I first have to reach a certain stage of frustration, then I break down and fix it. I have looked at it more than a few times, but haven't seen any quick and easy. I have used it a fair bit to flatten the soles on wood working planes, one plane, one belt. Stanley and their green castings. Oddly enough, I saw a Delta on CL. I could almost afford., but the BusyBee, Canadian for Grizzly, was handier with it's exposed end roller. I worked for while in my youth in a machine shop, it was shocking how many parts were "machined" on a Delta 6x48/12"

My Stanley planes are so old that I just use them as is to keep value. Let's see pics of your belt sander. I too am not impressed with the aluminum table for the disk sander. Come to think of it, the aluminum table is supposed to be usable on the belt as well. Nope, never even considered trying it. Too flimsy, as you stated. I rarely use the disk sander portion & suspect this is because of that aluminum table. How was this done, built or arranged on the old Delta of your youth Downwindtracker2?

Last edited:
Back