Belt Sander

wvnitroman

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks,

What is a good stand mounted 6" (x 44" or 48") belt sander that will good work for metal working for under $500? A lot under $500 would be great!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Does it need to be 6"? 2x72s have plans all over the place if you're willing to DIY. Pre-made belt grinders tend to be stupid expensive, IMO.

Craig’s list , just make sure the platin is flat

Hi Kevin,

I would go for a self build as well ! Not overly difficult to do even if you did want to go to 6" inches wide.
Years ago I made one 4" inches wide and about 20" inches long using a length of steel channel Iron. 1 Hp single phase motor 2880 rpm, driving 2.5" rollers. Wish I had never let it go.

We were in the market for a 6" belt grinder also. After a lot of looking around, we found one with good reviews. It's the Grizzly G-1183 model (from Taiwan) with a 6X48" belt and 12" disc. Grizzly has been selling this model for years. It's a 3450 RPM machine.

But we couldn't part with $800 for it, so as others have suggested, we built one from scratch.

We re-purposed a 2-speed 1725/3450 RPM motor from the spa we ripped out of the yard, and purchased a few parts from Grizzly (the platen, lower drum roller) and from Sears (the cast table). It works well - and the 2 speeds are nice for wood and metal.

Here are a few photos.

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

dsc_0101-jpg.276334

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

We re-purposed a 2-speed 1725/3450 RPM motor from the spa we ripped out of the yard, and purchased a few parts from Grizzly (the platen, lower drum roller) and from Sears (the cast table). It works well - and the 2 speeds are nice for wood and metal.

How awesome is that! I have G-1183 and it works great. But you got the best of both. Lower cost but still have the quick release Belt Tension and platen and saved $$$ on the re-use of other parts. Looks great as well.

If you can find one I would go for a Delta or Delta/Rockwell belt/disk sander. They are pretty much the standard all others are judged against. I was able to purchase one several years ago for less than scrap price. All it needed a couple bearings and a drive belt. It's been in my shop nearly 20 years and the only thing it's needed are a few new sanding belts and disks. They're tough as nails and can work all day without breaking a sweat.

I recently purchased an old Craftsman (think cast-iron) 6x48 belt/9 in. disc combo off CL for $150. They are out there.

Back