Belt Sizes...

GFarmer13

Registered
Registered
My new to me lathe, Montgomery Ward 700A didn't come with the V belt and I am trying to determine what size to buy. The motor is not in the mount either so I am in the process of getting some needed items to get my lathe running. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ronnie

You need to measure the opening at the top of the V pulley for the width. You should have the motor mounted with its pulley installed so you can then measure the outer circumference of the motor + lathe pulleys.

Measuring belts at VBelts4Less

You can also purchase a link belt normally in 1ft increments if you want to be able to tweak the length. I have a "B" sized link belt on my milling machines. Works well. Your lathe may be "A" sized.

Accusize Link belt on EBay

I would get the motor mounted with pulley and use a 1/2” rope around both pulley s and measure.
Me and Dave typing at same time, lots of folks are using the link belts

Measuring your setup will be better than relying on someone else's, which may be different. Measuring is a little trickier in this case since the motor pulley is a 'V', but the countershaft pulley is flat. I'll look at mine when I get home in a couple of hours, just to get you in the ballpark.

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I may get another check in the bank before I make the purchase after all. The weekend is going to get rained out in this area. That will keep me from moving my butcher block work bench. Hopefully I can get my lathe on the bench next weekend and start getting some measurements.

Mine is a Gates A40. The center to center distance from the motor shaft to the countershaft is 10".

Mine is a Gates A40. The center to center distance from the motor shaft to the countershaft is 10".

Thanks for the information. I hope to get my bench together this weekend. Then maybe I can get my lathe on it and line it up for mounting holes. I don't have the hardware to mount the motor to the bracket yet but I do have a trip to Lowe's planned. With any luck I will have a measurement for the belt this weekend. I did have a plan to replace the wiring for the motor but that isn't going to happen at this time. I bought too many items from my eBay watch list.

gfarmer a lil word of advice... b4 you mount the motor linkage bracket to the table add a shim under it like maybe 3/4 to 1" you will notice the flat plate that the motor bolts to swings down to tighten the belt and its pretty much touching the table on mine as whoever bolted mine didn't shim up... I will have to do that eventually... there is a bolt which pushes the motor against the assembly to tighten the vbelt and that extra space will be needed... what size hp motor do you have on yours? just curious

HF has some of the link belts , they seem to work ok . Some people think they cause lots of pulley wear all brands not just HF brand .

I'm not a link belt advocate-I feel they are less than ideal in every way except convenience. As a temporary fix, fine, but not for long term use
Mark S
Flak jacket ON

Back