Belt tensioner

tonnyandre09

Registered
Registered
Hello

I got this Chinese 10x22 lathe and it has one of these annoying belt tensioner on it. Has anyone modified it or built something that works better? Maybe even a clutch??

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_121728_compress98.jpg
    IMG_20210305_121728_compress98.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 142
Got the same problem, Only thing that I can think of is to replace the motor with a brushless DC motor. The only thing that I've done so far is mount the lathe in risers so I have greater access to the motor. Got a motor that may work. Still a lot of figuring out. If someone comes up with better method of moving the belt around the pulleys, I'm interested.

If I understand the problem, it looks as though that adjuster just needs a handle on it to make adjustment easier.
It there's room off to the right, perhaps a handle could be welded to the bottom of the adjuster.

I have a Grizzly G0602, also a 10 x 22 lathe. The fixing bolt goes through the back plate and is fixed with a nut. I modified my belt tensioner so I don't have to use the adjustment slot. To release/tighten the tensioner, I loosen the nut and swing the pulley out of the way and then swing it back in place, applying proper tension for the belt as I tighten the nut. No fumbling and the process a few seconds. The modification is described here.

I have a Grizzly G0602, also a 10 x 22 lathe. The fixing bolt goes through the back plate and is fixed with a nut. I modified my belt tensioner so I don't have to use the adjustment slot. To release/tighten the tensioner, I loosen the nut and swing the pulley out of the way and then swing it back in place, applying proper tension for the belt as I tighten the nut. No fumbling and the process a few seconds. The modification is described here.
Thanks RJ, I had thought of switching belts. Maybe I don't have to. I have a Lathemaster, but the idea should work. Never got around to doing much about the problem because of other projects. One thing that's nice about this site. If someone has a problem, there bound to be a someone who's been there and done that.

Back