Belts for 10EE

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What is the proper belt profile for the 10EE. "A" belts won't fit the groves.

A90 Top of the line Gates belts work for me. You can special order them at Napa auto parts and get em with in a few days, Just give em the size you want, don't even try to tell em what it is for.

Thanks. I'll be into NAPA tomorrow.

When they ask me, "Make and model?" I'll reply, "1975 Monarch" and watch them try to look it up.

An addition to post above..... if the repair people or cobblers have worked on your lathe in a past life your belt size may change in length but A belts are what they came with

Because I changed the drive system I will need 80" belts. I have 80" A belts on now but they don't fit the grooves on the stock spindle pulley although they do seem to drive the lathe well.

Just checked. Those are the belts I have and they definitely do not fit the grooves on the spindle pulley which is bone stock. They are definitely wider than the old belts. I thought that was because of 40+ years of wear. on the old belts.

I'm confused...

I have only looked at a maybe a half dozen 10EE that were not seriously molested in past life, but I know they take an A belt, if you have doubts call Monarch. That said if the belt rides in the groove without bottoming out and does not shred and make a mess its probably okay. I am sure on my 56 the belt rides a bit high in the groove but that is okay compared to the opposite. Even though the lathes came with either a 3 or 5 hp motor I serously doubt most folks use more than 1 hp so if the belts work okay, don't shred and allow you to do the work you want to do I would not worry about it. I am not up on the later machines but a 70s machine still had A belts as far as I know.

At some point Monarch changed from the "A" belt to the narrower "3V" belt. The "3V" is what my 1977 10EE uses and I'm betting that's the case for your 1975. The "3V" is about 3/8 inches wide at the top but is NOT to be confused with the light duty 3L V-belt. McMaster Carr sells "3V" belts. Go to their website and look for "3V High Capacity Narrow Wedge V-belt." They come in both cogged and non-cogged versions and I don't know if one is better than the other for the 10EE.
David

Dang I think you nailed it. Here is what I emailed earlier today to my friend who helped me with the conversion:

"Lary---Ever heard of 3v V belts (3/8 wide x 21/64 deep)? They are much closer to the groove dimensions (.328x.264) than the A belts.

The grooves measure .328 wide x .264 deep. I'm going to call Monarch tomorrow.---Matt"

Thanks Old Dave now I don't have to bother Monarch again.

Ordered two Gates 3v800 belts from Amazon Prime for less than $18.00 free shipping. You don't want to know how much McMaster wanted.

Back