Belts On G4003g

boostin53

Registered
Registered
I recently took delivery of a new G4003g. I got it wired up, leveled and did the entire break in procedure. This is day three of using the machine and loving it more and more each time. I'm not getting any of the surface finish problems I've read about. But I do have one concern.

I noticed a fair amount of rubber dust from the belts under the head stock cover. I adjusted the belt tension as it was on the loose side. Got the tension to just under 1/4" slack. Wiped all the rubber dust off then continued working on the compound bow stabilizer I'm making. After 15 minutes, I checked under the cover. Again, rubber dust everywhere.

I'm puzzled. The pullies seem to be running true and not off center from eachother. Has anybody realized this with their lathe? What can I do to avoid this?

I had the same problem with my PM 1440. I found a burr on the outside edge of the motor pulley. I took off the belts and used some fine emery cloth with the motor running and cleaned it up. no problems since.

Yes, Gates v belts. You can see where the rubbers coming from. At the top edges of the belts. But that part of the belt doesnt seem to come into contact woth the pullies when spun by hand. Maybe when the pullies are at a high rpm? Causing the belts to have a harmonic vibration?

image.jpeg

So what's the deal? Am I being paranoid? Or is this normal for new belts?

FWIW, I just received the same lathe in December. I have noticed the same dust from the belts.

My plan is to buy new belts and have them on hand when I need them.

FWIW, I just received the same lathe in December. I have noticed the same dust from the belts.

My plan is to buy new belts and have them on hand when I need them.

Well I'm glad to hear it's not just mine. Thank you.

Mines been doing it for a while... I tried to get new belts but i was unable to find a matched set. With the VFD and the quick accelleration/decelleration i don't think it helps.... Theres always rubber slung against my cover.

when the belts shred ill look for some new ones

Guys spend $26.99 and buy a Accu-link belt from Harbor Freight ($20.25 with a 25% off coupon). These belts are bad-ass your lathe will ware out before this polyurethane belt does. Also reduces vibration and can be sized by adding/removing links. Last I checked they are manufactured in the European Union. You only need 1 belt, its what I'm running on my G4003G.

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

http://www.jasonindustrial.com/pdf/Accu-Link Belting Bulletin2014.pdf

http://rubberproducts.jasonindustrial.com/viewitems/open-end-and-accu-link-belting/accu-link-belting

For future information I upgraded to this Baldor 2hp single phase motor $325 from my local motor shop.

Like some G4003G lathes after my lathe broke in (aprox 15 hours of run time) it loosened up and became susceptible to the high frequency buzz/hum the motor was injecting into the entire lathe resulting in pretty bad surface finish issues. I used 6 of these beast isolation mounts from McMaster, about $6 each and machined a new motor mount out of aluminum. Surface finish issues are gone, lathe runs smooth, quiet, a worthwhile improvement over the factory cast iron mount. The buzz/hum surface finish issue is not the motor, both the factory and this Baldor motor injects buzz/hum into the lathe, its Grizzly's poor motor mount design and the lack of motor isolation. This Baldor motor did get rid of the harmonic wha-wha-wha-whoo coming from the factory China motor and runs quieter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back