Bench for a SB 9A

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

Since I'll be lugging home a SB9A lathe after the end of the year, I figured I need to get moving on a bench for it.

Since my hobby fund is severely depleted, it'll be a wooden bench. Which isn't a horrible thing, as my workshop is a 50' semi trailer with a wood floor. I don't expect the lathe bench to stay perfectly level.

To make things a bit tidier, I'll make the bench a full 8' long, so I can move my Taig lathe onto it as well.

It'll be 2x6 construction, with a lower shelf and doubled up on the legs. I intend to fit 6 legs to it, to provide more stability. The top will be composed of two layers of 23/32 sheathing (non pressure-treated), with either a third layer of 3/4" oak plywood (stained and sealed), or an 8' length of laminate countertop.

The top will be supported by numerous half-lap joints bracing it (although I'll be sure to not put them where it'll interfere with mounting the lathe.) The bottom shelf will be 3/4" plywood, with half lap supports under it (though not as many as the top.) The legs will have the 2x6's doubled up to make a 4x6 post. Everything will be dry-fitted, then disassembled and glued up. I intend to use hockey pucks under the legs to reduce vibration transmitted to the workshop floor, as I've found a metal bench (taig lathe) drums like *crazy*.

For drawers, I'll either try to scrounge some drawer sets from the old cubicles at work, or I can use some of my 100lb ball bearing slides for them.

The 9A is a horizontal drive, so the bench will have to be deep enough for that, but it can't be *too* deep, as my trailer is only about 8.5' wide inside.

I know most people will howl at mounting a lathe on a wooden workbench, but I believe that 2 layers of plywood glued and screwed together, plus either a third layer or a countertop glued and screwed down from underneath should reasonably stay put. Once everything has been assembled, I'll hit the whole thing with some polyurethane to seal it up, and then enlist the help of a couple of strong friends to get it moved into place in the trailer.

My biggest concern is whether or not the middle leg will interfere with working on the SB lathe. I tend to work seated in a tall chair (the kind bank tellers use behind the counters), or on a barstool. I'd rather not have a bench leg right in the way of my leg.

Questions? Comments?

Thanks!

Just one comment based on personal observations. Your bench will move around, expand/contract, depending on temperature/humidity - seasonal changes, right ? I'd recommend that you mount your SB solidly at the headstock while allowing the provision for tailstock movement as the bench moves. The means is up to your ingenuity, of course. Maybe some oversize holes through the bench with fender washers under the mounting hardware ?

Back