Bench for SouthBend Lathe

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am VERY new and know very little about moving heavy equipment, but how do you jack up a bench? I mean, what kind of jack can get under something that is very close to the floor? Sorry for the naive question, but I really don't know.

Phil

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am VERY new and know very little about moving heavy equipment, but how do you jack up a bench? I mean, what kind of jack can get under something that is very close to the floor? Sorry for the naive question, but I really don't know.

Phil

A toe jack will lift with low clerence, you would probably have to use a pry bar and a block of metal to lift it onto the toe first.

I recently lifted my hacksaw onto a roll around trolley that I have made with a couple of pry bars some very sturdy piles of wood and my car trolly jack :)

and maybe a compression strap used as a come along.

Stu

I have a floor jack that you use on cars. If I made a bench I would make it so that the floor jack would slip under the bottom cross support on the end of the bench. Or you could use a scissor jack that comes with most cars these days. You could also use a 2x4 resting on a 4x4 as the fulcrum point. You only have to be able to lift the bench one end at a time just enough to slip the dolly underneath the bench. Lots of ways to do this.

Another idea for a bench is an old metal desk. The legs have levelers so easy to adjust for level and the desk will have several drawers to store stuff. These can be had for free or next to nothing at garage sales, surplus sale and flea markets. I recently pickup a very well made, solid wood desk to use as a work table in my garage for free from my church thrift store. They just wanted it gone.

FWIW, I have had good experience with the wooden bench for my 10" Atlas. It was designed based on the wooden bench Atlas offered for sale for their lathes in the May, 1945 catalog entitled "Modern Shop Equipment." (Page 13, Bench W-101 for 36 and 42" bed lathes)

By good experience, I mean once leveled, the bench maintains the precision level.

The bench I have has a top that is made from laminated 2x4's, with metal pads on top for the bed feet to rest on. The frame is 4X4's (which are really double 2X4's) using mortise and tenon joinery. All four legs are secured to the floor with angle brackets. The bench probably weighs 75-100lbs.

Making the thing out of common 2X4's kept the cost way down.

Here is the bench under construction.
DSC_0062.JPG

And here is the finished product with the Model 10f Atlas lathe

DSC_0109.JPG

Your bench is a work of art that us mere mortals would be hard pressed to equal. Good job.

500 pounds is nothing.

4 legs are 125 pounds each...likely less than your weight.

If you have a roll type tool chest then make box that fits over it so storage is simple.

Simple 4 wood posts with plywood on 3 sides forms a strong structure.

A couple 2x6 joists across then 3/4 inch melamine on top of 3/4 ply make an easy to clean and stable surface.

Many options for making mobile and that is more limited to space than weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FWIW, I have had good experience with the wooden bench for my 10" Atlas. It was designed based on the wooden bench Atlas offered for sale for their lathes in the May, 1945 catalog entitled "Modern Shop Equipment." (Page 13, Bench W-101 for 36 and 42" bed lathes)

By good experience, I mean once leveled, the bench maintains the precision level.

The bench I have has a top that is made from laminated 2x4's, with metal pads on top for the bed feet to rest on. The frame is 4X4's (which are really double 2X4's) using mortise and tenon joinery. All four legs are secured to the floor with angle brackets. The bench probably weighs 75-100lbs.

Making the thing out of common 2X4's kept the cost way down.

Here is the bench under construction.
View attachment 275190

And here is the finished product with the Model 10f Atlas lathe

View attachment 275191
this is just beautiful sir. amazing

Back