Bench Grinder Blues !

I've got an absolutely horrible Gbear 8" bench grinder. The shafts were so poorly machined that they were way off center, out of round and rough. I finally took it apart and machined the shafts for bushings with threads. Took the chance of silver soldering the bushings on. Runs true(r) now. But it doesn't have enough power to shape the white Norton wheels for profiles. I do that on the production shop Baldor.
BTW how do you dynamically balance your wheels? All of the methods talked about to "balance" seem to be static.

I’m glad people are paying attention to the fact bench grinders can be dangerous. Yes they can kill and maim but so can everything else in the shop if not maintained and used with respect. It’s also why I don’t let just anybody waltz in and use my grinders. They are most dangerous in a big shop when some idiot can jam something in one and then walk away. In a case like that the wheel should be removed and inspected and checked that it still rings. But in a big shop that never happens, it’s just left for the next poor guy. But as far as I know a wheel that rings mounted properly has never exploded.

It seems the quality of wheels is not what it used to be, but in my case I’m happy there’s a fix. Bench grinders and wheels last decades if properly taken care of.

I don't have grinder. Can you tell me what you mean by a "wheel that rings"? I think a lot of people would like to know how to inspect and ensure their wheels are safe.

If you suspend the wheel by it's center, just with a finger, & tap it with something metallic, you will hear a definite ringing sound. If it goes "thud" it most likely is cracked & dangerous. Throw it away. Take a wheel and give it a try. It is very obvious when it rings. Kind of like a bell.

Back