outsider347

Active User
Registered
Looking to replace my old worn out star wheel dresser

Need suggestion what you folks use on 8 in bench grinder
tks
ed

I made one like this1517586736272.png the diamond dresser1517586830611.png
is about $8.00 on Amazon. I threaded it 3/8"x24 tpi and made a handle to turn it and a lock nut. It dresses and trues the wheels. The above photo's are from Amazon.

Roy

Have not tried in a long time but you used to be able to purchase the replacement star wheels to put in it.

Wheels are available for the name brand USA dressers, not expensive. They may fit an import, or not...

Bought a T- shaped dresser many years ago. New , noname , perfect freehand
square , after ten years still usable , Anyone have a source ?......BLJHB-thks

I have 3 kinds of dressers. The diamond dresses straight, it also makes the wheel not cut as fast and part gets hot quicker. The star wheel makes the wheel cut faster, but cannot get the wheel as straight. I have a dressing stick for the odd shapes and quick touch ups.

I have seen some on Fleabay, but was not sure of them, pictures looked kinda cheap. May try one, one of these days.

I have 3 kinds of dressers. The diamond dresses straight, it also makes the wheel not cut as fast and part gets hot quicker. The star wheel makes the wheel cut faster, but cannot get the wheel as straight. I have a dressing stick for the odd shapes and quick touch ups.
His advice is the best; all these dressers have their place; add a boron carbide dressing stick if you need to dress soft bond wheels such as are used on cutter grinders.

Here is my rendition of the diamond dresser. The scoring on the aluminum block is from a combination of aluminum on aluminum with a helping of aluminum oxide grit between. I still need to mill the other side and mount a piece of uhmw then mill the uhmw for the angle and stop. This should help stop the scoring. The photo of the grinder wheel shows what the surface looks like after dressing.Dsc_0051 small.jpgDsc_0050 small.jpgDsc_0053 small.jpgDsc_0055 small.jpg

I have one too, work great, but haven't been able to find it for about a year,

Greg

Back