Bench Grinder Tool Rest?

I like the "Advanced Grinding Rest" that Harold Hall describes in his book "Milling, A Complete Course". You can see pictures of it at
http://www.homews.co.uk/page398.html
(By the way don't blame Mr. Hall for that title. It was probably a publisher's decision. "Milling, A Project Based Course for Beginners" would probably have been a better title. I highly recommend the book to beginners.

If you search Amazon for "Harold Hall metal" you will find two similar books. "Milling, A Complete Course" in the Workshop Practice series (published in the UK) and "Milling for Home Machinists" published by Fox Chapel (USA). According to Mr. Hall the books are almost identical with just a few editorial changes to translate from British english to American english. No attempt was made to change the drawings from metric to imperial units.

Of course a search on youtube will bring up a whole list of other grinding tables.

I kinda like the advanced grinder rest that Harold Hall designed and built. Something like this could could be put together rather quickly using cold rolled 1018. My bench grinder could be mounted on a heavy board and have a T track inset into the board out in front of the grinder. That way I could slide the rest assembly from wheel to wheel or quickly remove it when desired . I have a 36 grit on one end and a 60 grit on the other end. Thanks for the idea.

Dick

Hi Dick,

@Splat beat me to it regarding the Lee Valley/Veritas grinding rest.

I got one with a little grinder I bought used. It has worked very well for me. One great feature is that that the adjusting handles can be pulled out and set at any angle to get them out of the way.
I was thinking about another one, but the price is kinda steep.....I should build one.

It comes as just the rest:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32973&cat=1,43072,45938
upload_2016-10-5_21-36-38.png

or as a kit with a chisel and plane blade grinding jig:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32975&cat=1,43072,45938
upload_2016-10-5_21-37-47.png

-brino

I might mention that Veritas tends to make too many things out of aluminum. Even with anodizing,it might not bee long before the tool resting table gets coated with annoying pieces of embedded grit,scratching up everything you rest on it.

I think the simple,bent heavy gauge sheet steel TWO PIECE tool rests on my old 1963 Craftsman 6" grinder do everything I need to do. The Craftsman tool rests are "double jointed",and can be configured into many different positions. They are made of steel,and in all these years,there is not a single embedded speck of grit in them.

Far too often these days,bench grinders have only single piece tool rests,or a tool rest that only allows you to rest a tool that is facing STRAIGHT INTO the grinding wheel. I think a lot of these tool rests are designed by someone who has NO EXPERIENCE in grinding tools.

My Harbor freight bench grinder has awful tool rests. I get the tool close then take it to my big Jet 12" disc sander/ grinder with right media. Precision is way easier no facets. Before my jet I had some cheesy little 6 inch disc but was still better than the grinder for the big finish.

Some day I'll get this project done, I got it cheep ,it's well made , but can't seem to find much info about it. It's adjustable to just about any angle ,not shop made but should grind lathe tools good
The wheels could be hard to find and expensive tho
IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0860.JPG
The tool holder slides on a 1.5" round shaft and has a bearing that rides on the bar
Although it does take up some valuable floor space

Back