Bench grinder wheels

Not trying to be a safety nazi, but if you grind carbide, you must where a particle filter. And don't take it off until the room settles, or after you have vacuumed. It's heavy so it settles fast.

I've never seen a grinder stand that small. With your current back situation, that can't be good. Sitting is not good for your back either.

As far as wheels, Al Ox will not cut carbide. You need diamond or silicon carbide. I would go with diamond they run smoother. Get yourself a cleaning stick too for cleaning the swarf out of the diamond.
20220904_154917.jpg
ok, it looks like it's below your workbench. So unless you have a workbench above 40 inches since a standard workbench is 35, it just looks really low.

Not trying to be a safety nazi, but if you grind carbide, you must where a particle filter. And don't take it off until the room settles, or after you have vacuumed. It's heavy so it settles fast.
I know you're not, but it aint happening, I've reground asbestos brake shoes back in the day, blown the drums of brake dust out with the air compressor, amongst other things. Good advice, but in my case, makes no difference at this point, what is, is. I just want to buy the right wheel to reshape cemented carbide bits for my needs, when I need to. I think the stand is between 30-36 in high.

I know you're not, but it aint happening, I've reground asbestos brake shoes back in the day, blown the drums of brake dust out with the air compressor, amongst other things. Good advice, but in my case, makes no difference at this point, what is, is. I just want to buy the right wheel to reshape cemented carbide bits for my needs, when I need to. I think the stand is between 30-36 in high.
yea, I did the same back in the day. I blew it out often with my own wind too, so I was right in there with ya.
Also if you go with the silicon carbide, you risk silicosis. things that just add up with other things. I know, we are all going to die, by why rush it. We were young and invincible back then, now we are supposedly wiser. I say supposedly because many times I spray without a mask because I think I am using hvlp, and it's a quick job so I'm good. I know I'm not, so I am not so wise.. not at all.

edit: that's a normal height stand. for some reason the pics make it look smaller than it is.

Last edited:
yea, I did the same back in the day. I blew it out often with my own wind too, so I was right in there with ya.
Also if you go with the silicon carbide, you risk silicosis. things that just add up with other things. I know, we are all going to die, by why rush it. We were young and invincible back then, now we are supposedly wiser. I say supposedly because many times I spray without a mask because I think I am using hvlp, and it's a quick job so I'm good. I know I'm not, so I am not so wise.. not at all.
It's funny, to me, that you brought up silicosis. A few years ago, I applied for a job at a marble/ granite grinder shop, I was starving at the time. The guy asked me if I could lift 500 lbs, because that's what they did, installing this stuff. Whole shop was dusty, and of course my initial reaction was "can you", which ended the interview quickly, later investigation revealed the hazards of the dust.

Back