Bench Mill choices

Nice job Mike. Make sure to plug the old hole

Cutting oil is my blood.
I will not forget that. I'm waiting for the new oiler to show up so I can ream the hole if needed. And then I'll drill and tap the old oil hole and put a flush fitting allen plug in it.

Today I'm working on the dro Y dro. And my electrician will be here this afternoon to run a 220 line into my garage.
Can't wait.

Good for you. You are moving along nicely. At this rate you will be making chips next month.

Cutting oil is my blood.

How much Y travel will you lose after DRO install?

What brand/model of DRO?

Last edited:
How much Y travel will you lose after DRO install?

What brand/model of DRO?
I may loose about an inch of travel is all.
The Lunear scale is an Eason from DRO PRO sold on ebay at a big discount. I had to cut it as it was too long. Cutting was easy except then I had to purchase a 2mm tap and drill set to re install the end cap.

Well the electrical is slow going. We were going to use a breaker marked cooktop which would work sine we now have a gas cooktop. But someone way back when tied that breaker into other items. So now we have to go circuit by circuit and pair a few up to give a 20 amp breaker or larger for my 220. So probably 2 weeks away. Plus I still have to purchase the

No dog in this race...

I was faced with the same problem. Had no means of moving a knee mill so decided upon a table top - hmm, which one? I purchased a Weiss from ToolLots - $2,700 delivered with 3 - axis DRO. I absolutely love it. I had some small issues (expected with a Chinese import) and Weiss took care of them promptly and without pulling teeth. I mounted it on a HF US General toolbox. Perfect match - strong, no chatter, mobile.

I considered the PM, but I don't need the higher speed for carbide - HSS is just fine for me, and the price difference was huge. I do miss torque on harder material, but it was expected and I just must be patient. Just my 2 cents...
1682170479042.jpeg

Oh, that is an 8" RoTab on the table for those who always wondered how to scale a RT to table depth (7" in this case).

Cheers!
John

More electrical work. Service disconnect mounted.

Attachments

• 20230422_064031.jpg
    20230422_064031.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 5
Mill is now operational. Both belt covers installed. And it's nice and quite with the Baldor 1hp dc motor. Next when I have more time theDRO system.

Attachments

• 20231005_105707.mp4
    3.7 MB
  • 20231005_105609.jpg
    20231005_105609.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 5
Looks Good! I just finished installing Ditron Mag scales on my son’s BP. The provided screws were M3 x .5. Had to dig thru taps to find the correct ones. Still wondering about chip guards.

Back