Bench Mill choices

Well ya did good old son. I hated to be that guy, but I wanted to say earlier you‘re down the in the cat bird seat in the LA basin IMHO. I see more insane deals down there than anyplace else. Lots of guys here will only buy new so that why I didn’t want to be that guy who said why not buy local, but good job. Now you can take the extra $1500 and start buying tooling. Notice I said start :)

Thanks
I've been checking out tooling
In the manual ot states not to use any tools that have a shank on them as it could damage the taper. Drawbar is 3/8 ×16 threads so that's easy. Any recommendations on quality tooling at low prices?
Mike

Wow that sounds like a score, Congratulations!

Well ya did good old son. I hated to be that guy, but I wanted to say earlier you‘re down the in the cat bird seat in the LA basin IMHO. I see more insane deals down there than anyplace else. Lots of guys here will only buy new so that why I didn’t want to be that guy who said why not buy local, but good job. Now you can take the extra $1500 and start buying tooling. Notice I said start :)
I hate buying expensive things that in a short time are worth half of what you paid or less. A mill just like this sold for 3200 2 weeks ago in Orange county
A bit far to drive.

Here is the manual. Very important info is the lubrication guide showing lube points and frequency.

1000000472.jpg

Attachments

• 20221116_201608.jpg
    20221116_201608.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 23
I hate buying expensive things that in a short time are worth half of what you paid or less. A mill just like this sold for 3200 2 weeks ago in Orange county
A bit far to drive.
This is why I describe you being in the cat bird seat. To a very much smaller scale I have the same situation here in that patience is totally a virtue. It is very hard to watch and wait but I’ve had stuff pop up local that sometimes I’d had on long range radar for 30yrs. Like my Beverly B-2 throatless shear. Most everything else took 3mo to 1yr once I knew what I was looking for. And to know it took a lot of research and watching YouTube vids.

it has been mentioned here many times but it’s all about what you want to do. Now the guys who just want to make something and have no project in mind are on their own. Me, I’m in the category that only bought machine tools to make what I wanted so I knew my envelope and went the next size bigger. Instead of a 7x12 lathe I went 9x20. Instead of a mini mill I went RF-30. Of course TAS(tool acquisition syndrome) rears its ugly head when some juicy lust inducing tool pops up. But so far I’ve stuck to tooling and only doing a machine upgrade with my drill press.

If I was you I’d be going to the places where machine shops are getting rid of old stock or going out of biz. Those are goldmines and I’ve done really well there. I also invested in tool grinders to maintain my cutters and to renovate what others toss. In my case use and projects have helped me pick a direction for appropriate tooling and equipment.

Well I settled my choice earlier today. I purchased the Clausing 8530
Nice machine, I will pick it up this Friday
The seller said best way to transport is take off the base. Lay a couple of old tire in truck bed and lay the machine down on them. Then tie it down
Makes sense as that's how he said he moved it. May be the best $1,000 I ever spent. I spoke with the Clausing parts department this morning and to my amazement they have most all of the parts except for the castings. He just needs my serial number.
I'll take pictures and post them.
Mike
Hello and welcome, funny you’re in the town where Harbor Freight is based.

I looked for one of those Clausings for a long time before finding my RF30 clone. $1000 is an insane deal but as you should know, pictures or it didn’t happen.

Oh and don’t know why nobody has said it yet but

:you suck:
John

Yes Harbor Freight is based out of my town. In fact I went there today to get shop rags and a oil can. Went home with the rags. Their oil can was a Chinese joke.
Went to our local hardware store and picked up a nice Golden Rod brand made in the USA. It's a nice one.

Picked it up today. This spent most of it's life in a wood shop. Lots of sawdust and no metal shavings to see. Paint is almost pristine. Tomorrow mark concrete slab, set anchors and set base. Now my question is inches picture the base is just about centered and 2ft off the wall. What would be pros/cons of setting it offset at 45 degrees on the left side. That would leave my workbench on the right side with more room.1000000474.jpg

Attachments

• 20221118_161230.jpg
    20221118_161230.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221118_164741.jpg
    20221118_164741.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221118_164746.jpg
    20221118_164746.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 47
Place it however you like in your shop. probably no reason to bolt it down.

John

Back