Bench Mill choices

When I get this all completed and there are still issues with the gear drive . Whats the opinion on bushings installed in the gear box cover, that would be easy. And in the head, lots more work. I almost think that the main drive gear would be an easy bushing job. At least in the cover. And that may correct most of the wobble.

When I get this all completed and there are still issues with the gear drive . Whats the opinion on bushings installed in the gear box cover, that would be easy. And in the head, lots more work. I almost think that the main drive gear would be an easy bushing job. At least in the cover. And that may correct most of the wobble.
Bushings are a completely legit way to refurbish any thrust surface, but you already know that. If you need any small bits of bronze let me know.

Put it back together and measure and go from there, the more pictures the better.

John

Bushings are a completely legit way to refurbish any thrust surface, but you already know that. If you need any small bits of bronze let me know.

Put it back together and measure and go from there, the more pictures the better.

John
This makes me wish I had a lathe, even a desktop one could turn bushings. The main gear shaft is the one that really bothers me. The shaft bears on cast iron on both ends. And the smaller gears set in the gear case cover are blind holes. I could drill out the blind holes, install a bushing and a plug with an oiler. I'm calling Clausing in the morning to see about availability and price for some of the items and I'm going to ask about a new main shaft and cover.
I'll post what I find out. Mike

This makes me wish I had a lathe, even a desktop one could turn bushings. The main gear shaft is the one that really bothers me. The shaft bears on cast iron on both ends. And the smaller gears set in the gear case cover are blind holes. I could drill out the blind holes, install a bushing and a plug with an oiler. I'm calling Clausing in the morning to see about availability and price for some of the items and I'm going to ask about a new main shaft and cover.
Hey, somebody needs a lathe too ;)

Called Clausing and they do have some of my parts. Then I called a guy in Florida who was making a few parts. He is out of stock. He mentioned that some machines had bronze bushings in the gear train. Maybe mine was a early model.

Today finished the wiring with a new 20ft cord and finished the other wiring at the motor. Plugged it in and it runs. and the right direction too.
I was looking at the bottom of the quill and noticed threads. So I reached up and was surprised that the retainer was loose. Unscrewed it and was really surprised as it has a Leather seal. Not rubber. And really dirty. So tomorrow i'm tearing down the head and inspecting the bearings. I was just going to order a full set and thought what a waste of money if they are OK. I'll take pictures. I learned not to spray Brake cleaner on the paint, it works like paint stripper. The head is a bit noisy but not bad so it may need to be just cleaned and lubed, I hope. Those bearings are not cheap.
Mike

Called Clausing and they do have some of my parts. Then I called a guy in Florida who was making a few parts. He is out of stock. He mentioned that some machines had bronze bushings in the gear train. Maybe mine was a early model.

8530 was a much later model than 8520, it came along about 10 years later, no mention of it in 1966 literature, but is mentioned in 1968.

The 8530 is an improved 8520 so it seems unlikely that they wouldn't have addressed the bushing issue by that point, I wonder if the head is original? The head of the 8520 and 30 is the same so if the original were damaged, somebody could have parted out a good head from an early 8520 to replace it.

My 8520 was made in 1965, I don't recall if it has bushings or not. Are you talking about the quill feed gears?

There are a couple of South Bend 9As listed on the LA Craigslist, prices don't look bad $1000-1200.

Well ya did good old son. I hated to be that guy, but I wanted to say earlier you‘re down the in the cat bird seat in the LA basin IMHO. I see more insane deals down there than anyplace else. Lots of guys here will only buy new so that why I didn’t want to be that guy who said why not buy local, but good job. Now you can take the extra $1500 and start buying tooling. Notice I said start :)

This is why I describe you being in the cat bird seat. To a very much smaller scale I have the same situation here in that patience is totally a virtue. It is very hard to watch and wait but I’ve had stuff pop up local that sometimes I’d had on long range radar for 30yrs. Like my Beverly B-2 throatless shear. Most everything else took 3mo to 1yr once I knew what I was looking for. And to know it took a lot of research and watching YouTube vids.

it has been mentioned here many times but it’s all about what you want to do. Now the guys who just want to make something and have no project in mind are on their own. Me, I’m in the category that only bought machine tools to make what I wanted so I knew my envelope and went the next size bigger. Instead of a 7x12 lathe I went 9x20. Instead of a mini mill I went RF-30. Of course TAS(tool acquisition syndrome) rears its ugly head when some juicy lust inducing tool pops up. But so far I’ve stuck to tooling and only doing a machine upgrade with my drill press.

If I was you I’d be going to the places where machine shops are getting rid of old stock or going out of biz. Those are goldmines and I’ve done really well there. I also invested in tool grinders to maintain my cutters and to renovate what others toss. In my case use and projects have helped me pick a direction for appropriate tooling and equipment.

John

Are you talking about the quill feed gears?
Yes. Those should have had bronze bushings, at least the main gear.

Back