Bench project from estate sales and thrift stores and scrap bin

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The folks on some tv shows brag about using things for something else like it is something new...

Having not a lot of extra cash one gets creative and combine with lazy more creative.

A few months ago we picked up a steel bench at an estate sale for $15 and it needed lots of cleaning up as the owner must have used it to mix bondo...

It is basic design with cut steel plate welded to make legs and rolled and folded sheet metal for top.

We dug out of a dumpster what was left of one of those easy up tents and the square channel is very strong so we used it to make the bench top stronger via cross members on the bottom.

The corner was messed up so we added a 1/2 inch aluminum plate on top and another under to support the $10.00 estate sale vice.

We had some good heavy casters and 3 inch aluminum relay rack rails to make a base frame so it can roll around as well as keeping the legs from spreading if loaded.

The legs not all exact same or exact square but it works.

So we look at it and think a few drawers would be nice.

A week or 3 go by and a stop at a thrift store gets 2 boxes of 10 sets of 22 inch ball bearing drawer slides for $20 so ready for drawers.

Sketch some out and determined we could make maybe 10.

Not many suitable sheets at the scrap yard so idea shelved.

Visit a different thrift store and discover a pallet full of 24 X 36 steel shelving...hmmmmm...

Flip them upside down and a drawer is born...

Grabbed about 30 since they were only $2 each.

Could not bay scrap steel for that price and they are already made!

The drawer sliders are 1.8 inches tall and shelves/ drawers only a bit over 1 inch so perfect spacing by simple stacking.

Perfect size for the squares and other small tools, drill bits and whatever else fits.

We still need to pick up some sheet to support the sliders and build a back cover as well as making something for the fronts

But the bench is a good height and size, rolls easy and it has 18 drawers 36 X 24

The ends have open space so thinking about shelves or hammer slot hangers but that will be later.

Here are some photos of the drawers, the bench has a mess on top so will take more when cleared.4b85e25341365dcc90f95c706512c96b.jpgc420bb0823a91602532c5fc50b75b47f.jpgb82a4ea2c60eb07c2abcf354ad81a9bc.jpgbf8a603389b3941431626c1d4ebafb82.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Very nice, and the price is good too! I picked up a cart, and some wire shelving at the scrap yard. Kept the casters (very nice 6 inch ones) and used the angle and square tube frame made a welding table, with the wire shelving on top. Ended up with about $35.00 in the table, with a nice set of casters left over

I think the stars were in perfect alignment for you, great job!

The shop is full of "parts"

Figuring out what they will be made into is rainy day stuff...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

How I set up my Shop-- Went to several Go_OOB auctions Auctioneer.'" what
am I offerred for the remaining benches and Boxes of Contents?.....BLJHB.

Back