Bench Top Mill CNC Conversion (basic question)

At the end of the day it really depends on what you will be making that will determine how much mill you need. This can be an almost impossible question to answer if you have no prior experience with a CNC mill. Often it comes down to budget and space.

The next question is do you want to build a CNC mill or just have a CNC mill to use? Building a mill takes some planning and time to complete. You will also need a mill and possible a lathe to make the parts for the conversion. I stripped, measured and reassembled my mill to use to make parts for the conversion.

The advantage to building a mill is being able to configure it to your own specifications / needs. You can control some of the over all costs by which components you use. If you would rather just get to making parts I would look at a commercial offering.

I converted a PM-932 to CNC about 5 years ago. My recommendation is to get the largest mill you can afford with the largest travels. More mass = more rigidity, larger cuts, better finishes and a larger work envelope. You can never have enough work space. The down side to a larger mill is everything else that goes along with the conversion is larger / costlier i.e. stepper/servos, drives, power supplies, ball screws etc.

A gear head is limited to about 3K rpms. This is due to the tapered roller bearings and the amount of heat a gear head will create. At the stock 2k rpms, running for several hours the head and spindle would get too hot to comfortably touch all the while shedding grease from the spindle bearings

As most everyone who has done a conversion on a gear head mill will tell you, spindle speed becomes a limiting factor pretty quickly. I did the 3 phase/VFD belt drive conversion and have up to 7K spindle speed with AC bearings on the spindle. I normally do not run over 6K due to the lower quality import 3ph motor/VFD I am using. With a quality motor/VFD/AC bearings some have run the spindles up to 10k.

With the belt drive I have two drive ranges depending on the belt/pulley location, 0-1750 rpm & 1750-7000 rpm. Steels are typically done at the lower speed range and aluminum at the higher. HP, spindle speed and machine rigidity will dictate how large or small a cutter you can use. I routinely use end mills from 1/8" to 3/4".

Jbolt that was a really solid response and I just read your 932 build thread. The only milling experience I have is with my PM935 and mostly in steel. I want to explore CNC from the ground up, hence do a conversion. It looks as though the the heaviest off the shelf belt drive bench mill option is the PM30MV. Heavy enough to justify the time and cost? How will it perform in steel?

At the other end Arizona99 is cutting CNC conversion parts from aluminum with the 940, no belt conversion.

I am sensing that spindle speed is critical in CNC if you want fast cutting speeds (feed rate). True or false?

Last edited:
I am sensing that spindle speed is critical in CNC if you want fast cutting speeds (feed rate). True or false?

No doubt about it. Tuning your cutter type, spindle speed and cut speed to that "happy point" is the key. Every machine is different and has it's own limitations so you have to adjust one of the other factors if your machine is limited in one. Speed and feed calculators are handy, but I find an additional bit of fine tuning is usually required to get the best quality or best cut speed depending on your specific requirements.

I ran my mill with the gear head for a while before converting and it is perfectly capable of doing the job just slower and with some compromises in tool life and finish quality especially with aluminum. The noise will drive you batty after a while.

The other benefit of a belt drive/VFD is spindle speed control through the control software. With the single phase motor you are limited to ON/OFF control. With the VFD you add speed control. I have run parts with 20+ tool changes. Having a large range of available speeds allows for tuning the mill for each tool which is easier on the machine and tools.

I am not familiar with the PM30V but I have seen a number of smaller mill conversions that have been successful. I would certainly seek them out and get some feed back. If I recall the PM30V has a brushless DC motor so I'm not sure if speed control through control software is possible. Something to check out.

When I was researching for my mill I was able to go look at a few including a Seig X2 conversion. It seemed quite capable but I was put off by the limited work envelope.

If I were to do another conversion I would start with the PM940 with the hardened ways.

... what about the PM833T? I know the max spindle rpm is 1500 less than the 940.
Please don't think I am trying to talk you out of anything. I am just presenting my personal opinion. If I could afford it I would have a VMC.

The 940 with hardened ways is $200 less. The 833 does not say anywhere in the specifications that the ways are hardened. The 940 is larger & heavier, has a larger table and has more travel in all axis. In my case all I am looking to keep is the base, cross slide, table, column, head case and spindle. The lead screws, head gears, quill gears, motor and electronics all get removed.

I'm sure the 833 has a better fit and finish and may have a higher degree of precision but at the end of the day there is only so much accuracy you can squeeze out of a dovetail machine of these sizes.

Please don't think I am trying to talk you out of anything. I am just presenting my personal opinion. If I could afford it I would have a VMC.

The 940 with hardened ways is $200 less. The 833 does not say anywhere in the specifications that the ways are hardened. The 940 is larger & heavier, has a larger table and has more travel in all axis. In my case all I am looking to keep is the base, cross slide, table, column, head case and spindle. The lead screws, head gears, quill gears, motor and electronics all get removed.

I'm sure the 833 has a better fit and finish and may have a higher degree of precision but at the end of the day there is only so much accuracy you can squeeze out of a dovetail machine of these sizes.
Just something I noticed the other day....the weights listed for all the mills do not include a stand....except the 940. I'm sure it's still a larger machine, but it is a little misleading as first glance.

I'm with jbolt....i'd get a VMC! second choice is the 940 with hardways.

I totally agree with what your saying Jbolt. If you you wind up discarding 1/3 of the machine doing a CNC conversion then the 833 does not make sense.

I too noticed the 940 included stand weight. Not really a big deal but it is inconsistent in their comparison sheet.

I can afford a vertical CNC, I just don't have a place to put it right now besides the garage and that's not happening. Plenty of these out there for ~10K:

I totally agree with what your saying Jbolt. If you you wind up discarding 1/3 of the machine doing a CNC conversion then the 833 does not make sense.

I too noticed the 940 included stand weight. Not really a big deal but it is inconsistent in their comparison sheet.

I can afford a vertical CNC, I just don't have a place to put it right now besides the garage and that's not happening. Plenty of these out there for ~10K:

Better make sure you have the power to turn that 15hp 3 phase spindle before you go to procuring one of those. Most home shops don't have that kind of service and in many residential areas it's not even available.

Better make sure you have the power to turn that 15hp 3 phase spindle before you go to procuring one of those. Most home shops don't have that kind of service and in many residential areas it's not even available.

Yeah that's 50A minimum at 220V. Still exploring.

Back