Bench vise advice / suggestions

The American Scale vise looks like it has good potential. Hope you got it, as I just checked and the ad was taken down.

The American Scale vise looks like it has good potential. Hope you got it, as I just checked and the ad was taken down.

Nope, never replied to me. It had been up a couple days but was updated last night, so I was hoping.

Oh well, my wife and I have to go to Fairfield this week so maybe I can fit in some of the Sacramento area vises.

Just to follow up, for the time being I found myself a little 3 1/2" Rock Island 422 for $38 shipped.
I was looking for something larger to have room to grow into, but this will do the job for now. Should be a good little vise and at the price of a Harbor Freight special.

What I found with ebay is the shipping is reasonable on most vises no larger than 4" because they can use flat rate shipping boxes. Shipping explodes when you get to the 4" and larger, and many simply won't ship the large vises, and local pickup halfway across the country isn't an option.

Looks like an honest little guy and should clean up nice. I thought the square nut on the swivel lock was odd, but I found others and it appears to be original. I couldn't find anything on this particular model, but it seems Rock Island had a good reputation.

Rock Island 422.jpg

When Scranton Lace closed up I bought 150 Parker vises... Only got 3 left.

Back