[4]

Benchmaster Horizontal

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
I picked this little mill up earlier today as a neat little tool to add to the garage, and maybe do a working restoration on one day. It needs a little work and a motor, but everything seems to work smoothly.

The mounting pate for the motor should adjust, right? I think part of the base broke and someone fixed the position. Any suggestions (or a deal on a motor) would be appreciated. No real tooling came with it, but it won't be difficult to source. Once question I have is regarding a draw bar. Should I be using one, or is the MT2 taper all that's needed to hold a collet?

Best,
Ryan

8459181843_2411de94dc_b.jpg

8459134895_a83e1b74a7_b.jpg

8459135429_2cde744c60_b.jpg

8459181843_2411de94dc_b.jpg 8459134895_a83e1b74a7_b.jpg 8459135429_2cde744c60_b.jpg

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Hey Shawn,

Give me some photos and details, would ya? I'm figuring I'll make a draw bar based on the collet threading, but I like to see what I'm shooting for.

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Thanks, Shawn. That's more or less what I figured to see. I made a draw bar for my lathe, so this won't be any problem once I get some collets and check what is needed for length.

I also just realized this morning that someone put the table on in the wrong direction and it needs to be turned around. Maybe he was left-handed?

joesmith

Active User
Registered
Congrats, looks like a good find. It is a good size. Last yr I acquired a horiz mill but it is smaller than yours. It only has 1 slot and has a smaller vertical work window. I hope you got a lot of cutters with the mill. The vice is nice also.
Enjoy. Joe

ksierens

Active User
Registered
Great find! I also have a Benchmaster Vertical mill and love it!

IMG_0478s.png

IMG_0478s.png

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Yeah! But I still need a motor, and I was *this* close to just ordering one from Grizzly to be done with it when I reread your (Shawn) note about a sewing machine motor. I don't know much about electrical motors, but throwing a large pulley on the spindle and using a variable speed motor seems like a winning combo for good torque at low speeds, but nothing that would kill the bearings with too much speed. I was hoping to get this thing at least running this weekend, but I need to investigate this idea further.

On the project side, the vise was taken apart last night and degreased. I grabbed some evapo-rust at lunch which I'll try tonight before I repaint it. Sort of a "see how this works" sort of thing before tackling the important parts.

Oh, and nice machines!

-Ryan

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Thanks, Shawn. I'll start researching options for a motor. Sounds like a much better way to go than a straight 1725 rpm a/c.

In other news, the vise restoration is under way.

8459184117_5e3762f0cd_h.jpg
8470241730_198ba28b46_h.jpg
Simple Green and Evapo-rust before a quick reassembly for photos. I'll probably grab some paint tomorrow.

8470241730_198ba28b46_h.jpg 8459184117_5e3762f0cd_h.jpg

Last edited:

DMS

Active User
Registered
Looking good. That's a nice little mill.

waynesworld

Registered
Registered
Great looking mill, I have the verticle model and I am planning on putting a Baldor DC 1/3 HP. The manditory controller would give you varable speed. These have lots of torque. A friend put a larger DC on his Bridgeport and it works out great. Another option and probably cheaper is to get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Then you would have a great set up. 3PH motors are fairly cheap and Factorymation has the TECO VFD's for a little over 100$ plus for $20-30 mort you can get a pot and enclosure for it for varible speed. My $.02

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Chips!
8547235794_29a4e746e6_h.jpg

I need a bigger pulley for the spindle, but it seems to work well so far.

8547235794_29a4e746e6_h.jpg

fretsman

Active User
Registered
Great looking little mill, would also love to see it in "action" if you ever get a video taken.

Also noticed your G0704 in the back there. How are you liking it? I'm happy with mine (so far) but have been doing a few little mods to her here and there just to make it easier to use.

Thanks,
Dave

iron man

Active User
Registered
That is a great little mill It is hard to tell from the picture but if you would drop the motor pulley size down to 2 inch that would make a world of differance if that one is a 3 inch.. Ray

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
That is a great little mill It is hard to tell from the picture but if you would drop the motor pulley size down to 2 inch that would make a world of differance if that one is a 3 inch.. Ray
Thanks, Ray. I'll check that out as a possibility. One or the other has to be replaced as the belt size is different. Just not that far along yet...

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
Great looking little mill, would also love to see it in "action" if you ever get a video taken.

Also noticed your G0704 in the back there. How are you liking it? I'm happy with mine (so far) but have been doing a few little mods to her here and there just to make it easier to use.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,
Check the parts list and note the nylon 37t gear that the gear on the motor spindle turns. Crash the cutter, and you may shear the 37t gear (speaking from experience here.) And the gear is backordered until mid-April, so I haven't had use of the machine since last month. You may wish to order one or two to have on hand if you can't make your own. I'm just not that far along to make one, so I'm waiting patiently. The BM has nicely filled in, though. Once I get it dialed, I expect it will be a very nice machine for a variety of things. Other than that, it's been what I expected it to be, and that's okay.

-Ryan

fretsman

Active User
Registered
Dave,
Check the parts list and note the nylon 37t gear that the gear on the motor spindle turns. Crash the cutter, and you may shear the 37t gear (speaking from experience here.) And the gear is backordered until mid-April, so I haven't had use of the machine since last month. You may wish to order one or two to have on hand if you can't make your own. I'm just not that far along to make one, so I'm waiting patiently. The BM has nicely filled in, though. Once I get it dialed, I expect it will be a very nice machine for a variety of things. Other than that, it's been what I expected it to be, and that's okay.

-Ryan

Thanks for that, Ryan, I think I will take your advice and also start getting ready for that belt mod sooner than later.

Thanks,
Dave

[6]
[5] [7]