Benchmaster Mh3 New To Me

rrjohnso2000

Registered
Registered
image.jpeg I recently acquired a production version of Benchmasters horizontal mill. It has the over arm support. Serial#4522304

Being a small production machine it is covered in filth but seems to have been recently used on jobs. Little dust on top of the chip layer that's over the main dust layer. It has a three phase motor.

I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up so I can find out how clapped out it is and what kind of deal I really got. I broke it down so that I could move it to the basement.

The plan is to clean it up, evaluate, repair and use. I will likely add a z screw and maybe an x depending on how I actually use the machine. The odds are that I will fab up vertical functionality too.

I found the three specific Benchmasters items in the download section. Should I be looking elsewhere for info?

It came with a three phase 3/4hp motor. When I can justify it to myself I'll add an VFD but for now what could I get by with for single phase hp? Please say a 1/3 as that seems the largest I have after my move last summer.

Indebted to any answers and will update as the machine is slowly rehabbed.

Hi Ralph,

Few people would look at that and see the usefulness of the machine. Obviously you are one of those few.....so am I.
What a beautiful, stout machine!
I bet it will clean up real nice.

I would not hesitate to put the smaller motor on initially if that's what's on hand. It will allow you to run some tests and get better acquainted with the machine.
Make sure you go over it well first for cleaning and lubrication, my old Cincinnati has one hidden oiler with a spring loaded cover on the main shaft behind a panel. I was lucky enough to find that oil location in an old manual first and then went hunting for it.

Once it's operational you'll be able to tell the required motor size better. Some of that will be based on the jobs you have for it.

Did they make add-on vertical heads for those too?

Also, there are three pdf's over here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2101&tab=3
though I do NOT know if they match your "new" machine.

Please keep posting as you go. I can't wait to see it!
-brino

Brino- thanks for the appreciation of my project and pointing me to those PDFs.

It's so dirty with grinding dust and grime it will be completely disassembled, cleaned, and lubed before use. I'll keep the thread updated as it is slowly put together.

I picked up a Brown&Sharpe milling vice #21. It needs a handle if anyone has one to part with.
Square 0.5in
http://hobby-machinist.com/gallery/brown-sharpe-21.95390/

It's funny how the lowest priority item moves up the list. It was just in the way of me working on other projects.

Just a small box of cleaned items. I let items soak in kerosene and then stiff/brass brush. Then a hot water rinse with Zep orange cleaner 100% from a spray bottle. I think the orange and purple work about the same but orange smells nice. image.jpeg

Slowly

Wow, your cleaning formula seems to work very well.
-brino

I like it. It's easy I let the soak do the work and then brush off what comes off easily and drop it back in. Just check in on parts when I remember.

Back