Benchmaster Mill motor hp & rpm?

Bobbycoke

Registered
Registered
Have a new to me Benchmaster Mill in pieces will clean ,Paint and reassemble [repair and replace what is necessary] but came with no motor others have said a 1/2 hp 1750 rpm motor will do, my concern is this just suitable or will larger hp and more rpm be better? OK? I have access to a 3/4 hp 3450 rpm dayton motor ....any problems using this due to hp or rpm ??????????? I would think the hp would make it stronger but what a bout the higher RPM;s could always be brought down with a pully......Thanks for any and all input.....bobbycoke

Have a new to me Benchmaster Mill in pieces will clean ,Paint and reassemble [repair and replace what is necessary] but came with no motor others have said a 1/2 hp 1750 rpm motor will do, my concern is this just suitable or will larger hp and more rpm be better? OK? I have access to a 3/4 hp 3450 rpm dayton motor ....any problems using this due to hp or rpm ??????????? I would think the hp would make it stronger but what a bout the higher RPM;s could always be brought down with a pully......Thanks for any and all input.....bobbycoke

My Benchmaster vertical mill has a 1/2 hp ,1725 rpm motor . The motor is an old Delta/Milwaukee brand that looks original to the mill . For the light cuts I make with this mill I think 1/2 hp is plenty . The motor and spindle both have step pulleys for speed choice ....Steve

The RPM will be a problem. You would need a smaller pulley on the motor to bring down the speed but you won't find a motor step pulley much smaller than the original. I guess you could introduce a jack shaft like you see for speed reduction on drill presses but you would probably spend more money on that than to find a proper speed motor.

HP not a problem. Do some math on the pulley set up and that will give the avaiable RPM's. Will be twice the 1750 speeds.

Agree with Clueless: Try to stay with 1725 rpm-otherwise it'll be hard to cut steel without tearing up your endmills
Adjustable speed would be a good upgrade
Mark

Back