• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

benchmaster mv1 question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rhino

Active User
Beginning the long process of restoring my 60+ year old mill.
Question: how does the bronze(?) Acme bushing in the base - for the knee leadscrew- come out of the base? I see no set screw or pin. Tapping (lightly) from below with a brass drift did nothing. No flats on the upper part that would indicate threads.

The lead screw seems tight and smooth, so leaving it in place would be ok...but I like to understand each and every part of a machine.

rhino

Active User
Dumb newbie question #2:
The taper pins used in this mill seem to have a 'dimple' on one end. If this the 'larger' end?

rhino

Active User
Well, @#^%*$ !!! Looks like I drove the #0 taper pin out the wrong way. May have to drill and ream to #1. Maybe the pin was soft enough to squeeze through without fubaring the shaft and bevel gear.

[6]
[5] [7]