Benchmaster non restoration

I got the mill trammed in. (not much to do it was very close) and made the usual minor adjustments. I started it up and there were a few odd noises and ...

Just how warm are these bearings supposed to get? Just a few minutes and I couldn't leave my hand on the top of the spindle. I'm getting some heat off the bottom bearing but the top bearing gets positively hot.

I'm no stranger to proper bearing preload. Am I missing something here? Is there a one lube to rule them all?
I had dial indicators on the top and bottom of the spindle. I counted down from .002" , .001" , .000-something then barely 15 degrees on the preload collar. Heat, and lots of it.

These are very common automotive bearings.

Timken 09074 Tapered Roller Bearing
Timken 09194 Race

Timken 15118 Tapered Roller Bearing
Timken 15250 Race

Standard stuff from your local auto supply store.

Any bright ideas ?

Is there a provision to put a little lube to the bearigs? Can you adjust the play/pre-load? Only way I know to really inspect a bearing is tear into a machine. And I'm just a garage hack so what do I know?

Is there a provision to put a little lube to the bearigs? Can you adjust the play/pre-load? Only way I know to really inspect a bearing is tear into a machine. And I'm just a garage hack so what do I know?
...just what I know Bone.
I just packed the bearings with wheel bearing grease of choice and went looking for preload with dial indicators, Once I had opened up to + .002" and still had heating issues it was pizza, beer, pet the dog and play with the girl, or vice versa.

I have some light weight electric motor ooze around here somewhere...

I haven't updated in a while as , well , life happens. However I did find this little beauty :) I don't recognize the pattern so if anyone else does , please ....

Attachments

• eight.jpg
    eight.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 9
  • eleven.jpg
    eleven.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 9
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 8
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg