Bending copper/nickle 3/8" fuel line

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to run lines from my in tank electric pump to my filter/pressure regulator and it's not going well.

I have two types of bending tools. The arm style and the spring. Neither one works very well. The arm style literally crushed the tubing, and the spring still let the bend I made with my hands flatten out.

I've ordered one of these from amazon, but it won't be here til Monday. Nobody seems to have this style of bending tool in my area.

Here are pics of what I'm trying to do. On the lower left you can see the end of the compression fitting, and on the lower right if my fuel filter/regulator. It's to long of a distance to run rubber line. I am using rubber for my rollover/vent valve, but that's it.

Anyone been successful bending this line? I'm getting close to starting the engine. Fuel line and some wiring and I can fire it. Hopefully soon.

20210415_175154.jpg
Here are pics of my attempts of bending the line.

20210415_174917.jpg
20210415_175049.jpg20210415_174753.jpg

I read somewhere you can fill the tubing with sand to keep it from kinking

I've read that also. Not sure exactly how to do that.

I think you would have to cap the ends of the tubing off so the sand wouldn't come out. I'l look into it.

I've seen videos of hand bending around a socket of the correct diameter, but there was a radius groove on the socket, so I don't know.

Yes. You would need to plug each end and fill it up

Wait, how did you do this?
1618537700361.png

I don't understand how you got that "straw hat" profile....unless you're using a groove smaller than the tube diameter, or not using the tool correctly.......
Does yours have grooves for 3/8" tube?

I was about to recommend that type of tool. Mine has worked great:
1) open the handles fully,
2) place the tube in the proper groove and against the stop,
3) sweep the moving handle up over the tube until you have the angle you need.

I don't know if I've done 3/8" copper-nickle, but the smaller stuff went great.....

-brino

Yes it has a 3/8 groove, that's what I was using, went slowly.

When I used the same tool for my 3/16" brake lines it went great.

Golf tees work for that. Playground sand is moist, packs pretty tight...
Great idea. I don't golf :rolleyes:

Was thinking of using glass bead from my blasting cabinet.

Last edited:
Ridgid 606 Heavy-Duty Instrument Bender for 3/8" Stainless Steel and Hard Tubing.

Shop for best price.

Swagelok has the same style. They work great. They have two rollers that contact the tube in a way that doesn't crush the tube.

Alternatively, Cerrobend is a low temperature melting alloy. You could fill the area with cuttings and melt with a heat gun. Does not wet to the inside of the tube, just fills it. I've used it in short assemblies I could submerge in boiling water to melt it out. Dangerous to pour molten into a small tube. May spit back, like filling a hot radiator. Wear a face mask and other appropriate PPE.

Last edited:
Back