Best bang for buck metal lathe .. price range $1,200-$2,000

customchris

Registered
Registered
I really don't want to make the wrong choice when buy my first lathe

* I need it to turn a 16"x 1" 1/2 aluminum round bar
* I would like 1" 1/2 bore ( would make life easier but not a must)
* I only have 220v to my shop
* My limit is 2,000 for lathe, tooling and ex...
* need to be able to do production with it

I want any suggestion on lathes you guys may have Thanks so much for your guys help. I have till next month to find one to buy.. I have been looking at grizzly but open to anything

I won't go into brands, but I suggest the following:
1. Look up craigslist ads in your area and surrounding larger cities to see what the "market" says what a lathe should go for. EBay is a good reference but I think it's spread out too far to be accurate.
2. Find some used equipment dealers around you. You may have to travel some, but those guys have a wealth of knowledge.
3. Before you go out, look up some YouTube videos on what to look for when buying a lathe.
4. Keep in mind that tooling can cost more than the initial purchase of your lathe. If you have to pay a little more for a turn key deal, go for it.
5. Be patient! The economy is still in the tank and a lot of guys need to unload their toys...but bad times won't last forever.

Good luck.

I did find this Clausing Lathe for $1000 But not knowing much about metal Lathes I don't want junk that I have to restore. I just want it to work and I don't want a project.
I don't Have alot of money I need this to work out right.

http://images.craigslist.org/00v0v_bgrNthIfmOC_600x450.jpg
Here is all the add say '' Geared head , tool post holder, coolant pump and it every thing works ''

This one also
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/4816835958.html

Well if it works well, you wont buy anything half that good for 3-4k let alone 1-2

A lathe that size will most likely be three phase that means you need to figure in converting your 220 with the price your looking to spend

I assume 16" x 1-1/2" is length x diameter? Lathes are measured in swing x length, so your measurements would make quite the difference :)

Are you gunsmithing?

The South Bend Heavy 10 (10L) is a 1-3/8" center bore, so that's likely out. I got mine fully outfitted (tooling galore, chucks, collet set, etc.) in your price range.

If you find a three phase 220V motor, you can run a 220V VFD inline to run the lathe on single phase 220V. 3 phase motors run very, very smooth and are a great thing on a lathe (surface finish improvements and easy variable speed to name a few). A good VFD would be easy to find under $250-350. Consider a lathe with a 220V three phase motor a "win". Wiring is easy and there are plenty of YouTube videos available.

The Clausing you posted could be a nice one. If the gears look in good shape and it doesn't have any appreciable wear, it's likely a steal as long as it was maintained. Don't be put off by bed wear if you find it, it doesn't have as much an effect as you might expect. It looks like it could be a Clausing Colchester 13x40 based on a (very) quick eBay search. Sometimes, machine "looseness" is exactly that - it's loose. Check for tightness of gibs, cross slide leadscrew nut, etc.

Last edited:
I ran one of those for a number of years. 7 1/2 hp. 3ph. so you would need about a 10 hp rotary phase converter. Large spindle bore, about 2 1/2 in.IIRC. D1-6 camloc chuck. And very expensive almost unobtanium Gamet spindle bearings. Make sure you have this machine inspected by a knowledgeable person. That is a really low price for this model of Clausing. Tooling starts to get spendy when you get into this size and quality of machine. A very capable machine. You said production so if you expound a little maybe some one here may have some suggestions for the type and size machine you need.

Regards
Darrell

What sort of production were you thinking of? Lots of repeat parts or one of/repair type stuff?

Stuart

I just want to be able to make these tool handles over and over .. Thats It I just want to make the handles and sell them ... they are wood turning handles I really only want to spend 1500 but I could go 2000 if I have to.

Bhandle10.png

Bhandle10.png

Bhandle10.png

It's going to take a lot of work to make those on a lathe like that due to the taper.

Back