Best bang for buck metal lathe .. price range $1,200-$2,000

Have you gotten it quoted from a CNC shop to see what the cost would be in comparison?

Well most any lathe can turn that. If your open to used, go look at the one you posted. If not then the 10x22 or 11x26 griz or a pm 10x22 but I dont see any prices on their machines.

If that is your only use then get a quote from a cnc shop as mentioned previously. Other option is a lathe with a duplicating attachment. Depends on if this is for enjoyment or profit. If you are trying to make those for profit and are expecting to make huge amounts cnc is the only way to go for this project.

Darrell

Why cant you do it in two opps? Off set the tail stock to turn the taper then do the rest? Or make it in 3 pieces. I might be missing the scale. They look little to me

Chuck, two tapers, one long and one short, steps with shoulders and hole bored in the end. ( looks like to me any way) Yes it could be done, manually... at a profit...no way. Too many different setups.

Darrell

That looks very nice! I have some custom holders to make for my dad (he wants some unique offsets for doing interior carving).

One question that is more for my edification: how does the aluminum handle perform under use? Does it get slippery with sweat or is it a rougher surface finish that allows for a good grip?

I have not had any problems with it slipping .. I think it works like a waxed floor its smooth but not really slippery. I love mine a alot of my subscribers want one so I am going to make them and sell them for about 50 bucks a piece .. Most I have seen are $75. I think I will have about 14 bucks in aluminum. If I can do it in hour I can make a profit.

Chris, if you can make a profit making them in a hour you should be happy to know that with practice you can make them much faster. It is all in how you choose the steps to machine them. Do not think in terms of doing one at a time from start to finish. Do all of the pieces one step at a time. Since you will have a little wiggle room in your tolerances re chucking the parts won't be a issue. For example face and drill all of the parts in one batch, things like that. Remember a cnc shop could make these in about 3 minutes once programed. Still a thought to maximize profit. On the other hand buy yourself a lathe and who knows you might come up with some other prototype of some kind as well. Didn't mean to discourage you, just wanted to give you some options and if you get a lathe you will be addicted.

Good luck
Darrell

I agree it's easy enough to make but not cost effective to be doing it that way unless they sell for a small fortune. How long would it take to do everything vs what can you sell it for? Plus the material cost, I would guess you may have about 10$ each for that.

Back