Best Dial Test Indictor for the Money

The hand looks very short on the 523. Is it easy to read? I don't think Compac makes DI's anymore, I only see DTI's., so the 523 would make a fine addition to the other Compacs. For $50 plus another $150 or more with repair, ? Maybe. I don't really need a 523, but if one came up in better condition for around that price, I would consider it. I already have 3 other DI/DTI's on a list. Good information though. I haven't seen anything on this gage, not even on LIIS.com

The hand looks very short on the 523. Is it easy to read? I don't think Compac makes DI's anymore, I only see DTI's., so the 523 would make a fine addition to the other Compacs. For $50 plus another $150 or more with repair, ? Maybe. I don't really need a 523, but if one came up in better condition for around that price, I would consider it. I already have 3 other DI/DTI's on a list. Good information though. I haven't seen anything on this gage, not even on LIIS.com

You're right, the tip of the indicator needle is broken on the bay one. The end of the needle is supposed to reach the unit markings so that it is very easy to read. Like I said, I would pass on that one but wanted to make you aware of the 523.

I made an offer of $20.00 on that ebay 523 and will hold it for parts as you suggested. We'll see what he says.

"If it repeats correctly then there is no need to worry about the position of the hand." Rene Meyer
This may be true, but this only applies to hands on testing and verifying accuracy with a gauge block. Used indicator you are buying based on photos and a description I would not purchase one with the pointer knocked out of position vs. another which wasn't.

There are a number of good choices in DIs and DTIs, but also a lot of bad ones, in particular with the high degree of fakes and also the current crop of rebranded lower quality indicators. Names like Fowler, SPI, etc. mean little these days and their selling price is much higher than comparable Chinese brands. I learned the hard way, and purchased Fowler and SPI measuring indicators from Enco years ago, they all broke and failed to have repeat accuracy. Won't go there again, I buy once these days. I like the older Compac and Alina indicators, I have several and they work wonderfully and are durable. On the dial indicators, I picked up Stareett 25-511J and a 25-611J for $75 each in new condition. Really sweet 0.0001" dial indicators with a 0.200" range, but I always had a soft spot for the older Alina/Compac indicators, even some of the older SPI. These two below caught my eye, but I the Starrett's above is all that I need. On test indicators, one consideration when looking at the Compaq vs. Interapid is the former has a larger range and wider markings for the same sensitivity model. The Compac 215GA is a dream test indicator, last one I expect to ever need, the rest sit in their boxes. Unfortunately the used market price for these indicators have gone up significantly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fowler-52-...cator-0-40-Range-0005-Graduation/132182510328
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alina-513-...ator-0-500-Range-0005-Graduation/142485688277

Alina's were re-branded Compac indicators. Good ones, like the one Mark linked to, are made by Compac and you can see the Compac name on the face. The older style B&S DI's were also made in the same factory that produced Compac, Tesa and B&S indicators. I have an old B&S 0.0001" DI that is just as smooth as my Compac's.

Mark, I agree on the 215GA. If you haven't tried one, a 214GA (long range 0.0005") is of the same ilk.

You should have 4 surfaces on the ways and 2 if there is a precision bar in the spindle. The top and side of the precision bar will tell you if your spindle is parallel to the ways. Tim

This discussion started almost 7 years ago and the title is relevant to my needs now. The cheap test indicator I acquired when starting this hobby (six years ago) has died. My requirements are not that great. A indicator with 0.0005 graduations and a 0.03" range will do nicely. I can't see spending >$200 for a Starrett, a Tesa, LastWord, Interapid, or a high end Mitutoyo. Nor am I going to go for the cheaper ones. So, any recommendations for a $150-$200 indicator. Mid range Mitutoyo, Fowler, or ???? I am not abusive, but nor am I obsessively careful. So, ruggedness and reliability are important. Thanks...............

I have a load of metric Mitutoyo DTIs for little money that would be perfect for your needs :)

This discussion started almost 7 years ago and the title is relevant to my needs now. The cheap test indicator I acquired when starting this hobby (six years ago) has died. My requirements are not that great. A indicator with 0.0005 graduations and a 0.03" range will do nicely. I can't see spending >$200 for a Starrett, a Tesa, LastWord, Interapid, or a high end Mitutoyo. Nor am I going to go for the cheaper ones. So, any recommendations for a $150-$200 indicator. Mid range Mitutoyo, Fowler, or ???? I am not abusive, but nor am I obsessively careful. So, ruggedness and reliability are important. Thanks...............
All my efforts to-date have been in imperial measurements.

Back