Best End Mill for Wide Chamfer Cut? Indexable?

Michael303

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for an endmill that I can cut a 45 deg chamfer at about .400 wide on steel. I only need to take off about .040 depth. The only thing I'm finding that will do that is an indexable chamfer end mill. Unfortunately I've never purchased indexable tools so I don't want to buy the wrong type or maybe there's a better option.

I'd initially use it in a Bridgeport but I'd like to use it in a Tormach in the future if possible. Let me know if I'm leaving some helpful detail out as I'm relatively inexperienced. Any feedback is appreciated.

Why wouldn’t a 1/2” HSS endmill do that?

Ive used my HSS endmill to do such thing by setting the work on an angle plate.

V-groove carbide router bit. Most likely a 3/4 inch x 1/2'' shank. I use these all the time in all materials including stainless steel. Normally available at your local Home Depot or Lowes, also on Amazon.

1634333633665.png

Why wouldn’t a 1/2” HSS endmill do that?

Ive used my HSS endmill to do such thing by setting the work on an angle plate.
It would certainly work to cut a large chamfer but the tricky part is with the part I'm milling. I'm "tri-topping" a 1911 pistol slide. If you're unfamiliar the 1911 slide is round on the top and you mill a flat on the top and 45 deg chamfers on the sides parallel to the top.

I have a fixture that can hold the slide flat and at a 45 but the tricky part is the top of the slide is not parallel to the bottom of the slide or rails so when you set it up on a 45 the faces that you would mill in that orientation can't be easily indicated since the top of the slide is round.

The best I've come up with so far is to indicate and mill the top flat then mill 45 chamfers on the sides just big enough that I can indicate them when I turn the fixture 45. I figured if I have to do that I might as well look at just doing it all in the initial setup. Or maybe there's just another easier way to do this that I haven't figured out. I've attached a couple of pictures if it helps.
Screenshot 2021-10-15 4.43.08 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-10-15 4.44.15 PM.png
V-groove carbide router bit. Most likely a 3/4 inch x 1/2'' shank. I use these all the time in all materials including stainless steel. Normally available at your local Home Depot or Lowes, also on Amazon.
Well that's out of the box. How's the finish?

Well that's out of the box. How's the finish?

Finish can be very good, just depends on the feed & speed. And being carbide you can spin it pretty fast. Make some test cuts on a piece of scrap to perfect your technique.

Back