Best metal for a chuck wrench?

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
Is there a best metal to make a chuck wrench out of? Or maybe just one that is strong enough? I bought one for my 4" Buck chuck and I have twisted the lug on the end. It's not twisted off yet, but a bit weaker. I figure I will just make one, but I don't want whatever I make twisting off also. The end is .250" square.
2020-10-27 20.22.02-33.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Ha, ha! Funny I just was working on a replacement for my lathe bit in a half inch hex size. My choice was 1144, one of my favorite steels to machine and it produces quite strong stuff without heat treating. 4140PH seemed way overkill.

Mine needs more work! 8D309BEC-C6E5-474E-8E67-155AD71897A1.jpegI'm planning a groove in the center of the handle and a ball detent. Maybe handle ends too since the other seems to fall out on the floor.

Last edited:
I just got finished making one out of Grade 8 bolt, seemed to be the best option of what I had on hand. Haven't really put it to the test yet, we'll see.

I've used lengths of key stock for chuck keys. I made a pair of "shorty" keys for centering my 4-jaw lathe chuck by pressing knurled aluminum disks onto 2" lengths of ⅜" key stock. For something longer, you could press the key stock into a suitable hole in the end of a round bar. Maybe braze in place if you need more strength.

Not as pretty as a well machined keys that others have posted, but quick and functional.

Cold rolled steel has a nice finish, inexpensive, strong enough for a lathe chuck wrench, not difficult to machine, been using
mine for years now.

My twisted key is one someone made with cold rolled steel, it hasn't proven to be enough. To be fair, it works but it's twisted and worn. I eliminated that steel choice from my selection process. I also get better surface finish from 1144 and 4140 vs CR. If price was the biggest driver, I'd use 1045 but it isn't my favorite material for machining. A big grade 8 bolt, if available would be a good material from the strength standpoint.

Back