Best Place to Buy Way Oil in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I can tell you the best gunsmith in Edmonton- Rod Henrikson. I think his number is +1 780-455-3006
If he doesn't know, I doubt anyone in Edmonton does.

I thought about bar oil and gear oil as options. Read a bunch on the web about both. People sure get defensive of way oil though. Stiction control, tackifiets, detergents, antifriction prperties, sulfur lubricants and staining, etc. There was always some reason given by someone as to why way oil was the only option. There never seemed to be a good alternate to way oil that got past some major criticism. Did your guys ever notice any issues with Bar Oil or the Gear Oil. Problems with stiction, wear, or way staining?

My larger lathe is imported by Summit Tools from Poland. It pumps oil out of the apron reservoir to lube the ways and lead screw. They call for ISO 32 hydraulic oil, been using way oil for the last while as it sticks better, the hydraulic oil ran off the ways quickly. Had used bar oil on an import 14x40 and Colchester and mill for years with no ill effects. When I rebuilt the Hardinge I assembled the carriage with compressor oil, all I had, they called for 20 wt oil. When I tighten up the apron it pulled up on the dove tailed bed ways and you couldn't move the carriage. Tore it apart and used 3 in 1 oil (its 20 wt) for assembly. The carriage moved like it was on glass. So I bought the pail of 20 wt way oil and use it on everything now, including the apron of the Summit.
If bar oil will stay on a chain at the speeds it runs at and not wear the bar it should lube a slow moving carriage.
Greg

I bought a 5 gal pail of way oil about six years ago. Be amaze how fast that oil goes when your having fun. I'm down to about two gallons left. I only have three primary machines I use it on.

Gunna use it like Franks Red Hot Sauce. Gunna put that (splat) on everything Flustered

I gotta admit apart from the stronger smell it seems to glide very nice compared to the oil that was on the machine when I got it.

I ordered through kbc tools (I live in Calgary) . Bought the 5 gallons, 8 bucks to deliver, had it in two days. Oil is good, sticky, completely different than 32 hyd.

No regrets, but I feel your frustration and sourcing small quantity machines supplies in this blasted province of ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't there a Thomas Skinner in Edmonton? They are a machine shop supply from the beginning of time. For me ,KBC is a little easier to get to in the 1ton. So that's usually my first choice.

Back