Best Quick change for the Mini Lathe

Paul, you'll like using a QCTP kit with your lathe, I know you'll soon start a thread about extra tool holders and whether to buy them or make them in house,:D so before that happens I want you to know making them is not difficult and most probably more cost effective depending on where you live.
Enjoy your new tool.

OK thanks.

For the Drill Chuck the mini lathe has a very short arbour, is there a arbor I can get the fits better or should I cut my one.

If the arbor is too long because you have to move the tailstock to install it, that's one of the crosses we all have to bear. Move the tail stock. We all live with it. Many lathes have a quick release on the tailstock for just that purpose. Some of us have built our own quick release mechanisms, too.

If you shorten the arbor you can't release if from the taper.

I'm not explaining it properly then, I can move the tail sock that's no issue. Have a look at the LMS arbour, it's short. It's the right one. I'm just wondering if I can cut mine or I should buy that one.

I have in the past cut/shortened the arbor length on a couple of tools (live center, something else?) and understand what you're talking about, what I believe Tom (T Bredehoft) is saying is you can still use that chuck in your Tailstock but you'll need to advance the shaft in order to fit the extra long arbor.
The alternative to that is, as you said to cut it to the desired length but you still need to tap/thread the end of the arbor and fasten a bolt/threaded rod in order to make the arbor length adjustable, otherwise you can't release it from your tailstock.
Please remember I'm just a hobby machinist and you may get totally different answers from the seasoned members here.

Last edited:
OK I follow, yes that's what I have been doing. ( Winding the shaft out to use the chuck ).

Do you mean if I cut it it might get stuck in there as winding it back pops it out?

The arbor can not be too short so when you retract the shaft it can get released(gets pushed out), cut it to the approximate length then drill and tap it (M10 I think) cut a piece of threaded rod, screw it in, insert the arbor in the shaft lightly enough so you can remove it by hand, adjust the length of the M10 rod until you are satisfied it will get popped out when the shaft is retracted, once you are happy with the length you can add a drop of thread locker to the rod to keep it from moving in our out , that's it.
You could cut a slot on the end of the M10 rod so you can use a flat head screwdriver to adjust the length.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken I understand now.
No problem Paul, don't worry, you won't screw it up.
Cutting the tang off you will get an extra 1/2", If I recall correctly I cut more than just the tang, likely 3/4" or so.

Back