Best saw blades…

Is this for a standard bandsaw or specifically a metal cutting saw?

Along with the "rule of thumb" minimum number of teeth engaged in the workpiece there is also a suggested maximum of 25 teeth engaged. Any more than that and you risk loading the gullets and seizing the blade in the stock and breaking it. Having said that I, like many others have been known to cheat from time to time. If you do exceed the suggested maximum, it's best to lower the blade speed and down feed pressure. Blades usually run in the $35.00 to $45.00 range for 7" x 12" saws. Mine usually last between 2 and 3 years when treated properly

Like others I prefer bimetal blades. I have 3 pitch variations in stock All are considered "variable pitch". The most commonly used one is 10-14 tpi. I also have 6-10 tpi, and 8-12 tpi in stock. I would guess that 75+% of the work done is with the 10-14 tpi blades. I buy my blades locally from the Ellis Saw Company. They're only a few miles from the house. I can call ahead and pick them up within a couple hours if I need to. They make the blades when ordered but do have a minimum order of 2 units. One of the main reasons I get them locally is that my saws take somewhat odd size blades. The Startrite takes a 98 1/2" blade while the Rockwell takes a 61 1/2" blade.

Here's a link to the Ellis Saw Blade Selection Information Page. While you may not buy from them the information is valid for all brands.

Back